Vanguard Campaign Discussion

Vanguard stuff goes here

Re: Vanguard Campaign Discussion

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:40 pm

Sven (orcs) and Charlie (Elves) makes 9 (as per the other thread)
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Tom » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:11 pm

The 'advancement options' for the company retinue confuse me.

Do we assume that entries including 'may' cost your level up option to take (e.g. The Mauler) but others that just state that you are given them come free (e.g. The Healer)?

If it isn't given for free, The Arcanist's is just a copy of one of the normal level up options.
Tom

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:25 am

Am I going to be punished for not having access to the book. I've already seen Toms Facebook question about spells. I thought I could swap one or purchase extra for 10. Is this for one off games only?
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:42 am

Tom wrote:Do we assume that entries including 'may' cost your level up option to take (e.g. The Mauler) but others that just state that you are given them come free (e.g. The Healer)?

I read this as the ones that say may cost your level, others where it states they just get stuff it's free. As far as I can see this means the mauler (extra melee dice) and hunter (2nd ra boost) are optional upgrades not available normally.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:49 am

MoodyGit wrote:Am I going to be punished for not having access to the book. I've already seen Toms Facebook question about spells. I thought I could swap one or purchase extra for 10. Is this for one off games only?

That's a one off game thing. There is a whole advanced spell book section in the book for campaign use, but all spellcasters start with only the spells they are listed as having. Extra spells, either faction or advanced, can be bought for them as they gain experience. I wouldn't worry too much about lack of book access since you can't buy the extra spells before the campaign starts.

Page 122 for anyone who wants to double check this in case I've got something wrong.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:47 am

I'm thinking of picking up the pdf if anyone wants to share the cost.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:34 am

Ray wrote:
MoodyGit wrote:Am I going to be punished for not having access to the book. I've already seen Toms Facebook question about spells. I thought I could swap one or purchase extra for 10. Is this for one off games only?

That's a one off game thing. There is a whole advanced spell book section in the book for campaign use, but all spellcasters start with only the spells they are listed as having. Extra spells, either faction or advanced, can be bought for them as they gain experience. I wouldn't worry too much about lack of book access since you can't buy the extra spells before the campaign starts.

Page 122 for anyone who wants to double check this in case I've got something wrong.

May change faction again as my game plan was built around a faction spell. :(
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am

MoodyGit wrote:
Ray wrote:

May change faction again as my game plan was built around a faction spell. :(

I'll have a look this evening to see how quickly you can get access to it. It might well be that you wouldn't have to last long without it.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Tom » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:31 pm

3xp for first level up at which you point you can get a new spell.

1xp for surviving a game.
1xp per game if you make a kill.
1xp for casting 5 spells in a game and surviving (designated Arcanist retinue member only).
1xp for surviving against a higher ranked band.

So basically keep him alive and you'll hopefully have the spell after a couple of games!

I'm also very keen to get my faction specific spell as it lets me remove an activation marker from a friendly model and I'm back to playing Lucius in Malifaux!
Tom

Postby Ronq » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:22 pm

I’ve probably missed this somewhere, is 200 points what we’re aiming to build a list for?
Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.
Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Ronq
Gone But Not Forgotten

PreviousNext

Return to Vanguard