House Rules

House Rules

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:30 pm

I’m not a big fan of house rules in general, normally because of my own laziness (in coming up with them and convincing others to use them) however I am really enjoying Heresy (yes Dave, we know, shut up about it!) but I think it could really benefit from some tweaks.

My first proposal is a change to Reactions: “A unit may only perform one reaction per turn”.

Currently we have the situation where a single unit can potentially shoot three times in the opposing player’s turn (intercept, return fire and overwatch).

Are people interested in actually using house rules? I’m not intending loads of them, I can’t actually think of any others right now either so that’s a good sign I think.

Happy to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
Dave
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: House Rules

Postby Tom » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:49 pm

The one reaction per unit per turn idea was absolutely on my mind as well.
Tom

Postby Ray » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:14 pm

I think the idea is right but I'm not sure this is the right execution of it. I would propose the alternative "A unit may only shoot once per turn as part of a reaction" otherwise any unit that makes a move reaction suddenly becomes a massively appealing target in the shooting phase.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:29 pm

I was looking at it from the perspective that a unit is being made to choose to either move away, and make the charge distance longer, or stand their ground and hope their overwatch thins out the assaulting unit. As is, they can do both making it a bit of a sad experience for an assault based unit.

But I see your point.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave

Postby Ray » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:50 pm

You are right, that doesn't really work either. What about "a unit may only perform one reaction per turn in response to each enemy unit"? This way a unit that performs a move reaction is free to make further reactions just not in response to the unit that triggered the move reaction.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:45 pm

Not played many big games so not sure how it plays out.

Is something like, if you have already made a reaction involving shooting any further ones are snap shots, an option?
Sort of allows fluff wise for overheating/ammo running short which would happen with lots of shooting over and over again without a chance to re-load/cool down.
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby ErebusMort » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:52 am

I like the original idea, just one reaction per unit per turn, keeps it simple and easy to remember.

Also makes it more tactical - makes your opponent think about whether they want to react to shooting or in overwatch if they think they’ll be charged.

Otherwise the same unit could move react, then shoot react and then do the assault reaction that takes away the chargers bonus attack and there’s no reason that unit should be allowed to do more stuff than everyone else.
ErebusMort
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby Tom » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:34 am

Yeah, keeping it simple for the first attempted tweak seems best to me. I don't see an issue in theory with making a move reaction making you unable to shoot back so a more tempting shooting target. That's a tactical decision to take.
Tom

Postby ErebusMort » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:55 am

It also mirrors running in the move phase. If you run, you don’t get to shoot.
ErebusMort
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:12 pm

As a non combat shooty force i disagree completely.

I can only react once per your phase. If i choose to react againts one sole unit in each of the phases i cant react againts the other 3 or 4 charging my other shooty squads. I have to make a decision which of my useless shooty squads i am going to defend.

I cant react to your assault unit that doesnt shoot at me. I propose if you are intending to charge with a unit you cannot shoot with tha unit prior to the assault. That stops the second reaction. SORTED
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Return to Horus Heresy