Gaslands

For any 'post-apocalypse' games we play, such as Scrappers, Gaslands, Mercs, Dark Future or others

Re: Gaslands

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:49 pm

Buggy and a Car is pretty much what I will go for.
With Verney as sponsor.

Not even looked at RC cars in our trial games.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:10 pm

Tom wrote:Aiming for 30 cans for a campaign start right?

Any comments from those who actually know what they are doing...

Given that Mike and I don't fall into this category despite our best efforts, take everything we say with a hefty dose of salt....

I think we will be aiming for the 30 cans campaign start, just haven't decided if we should go with the option where you can get new everything with your cans or whether we should go with the alternative suggestion at the top of page 155 where you can only spend bonus cans on perks and weapons. Clearly this would have a bearing on the starting line-ups/purchases, especially if one of your vehicles picks up too many dents.

Miyazaki and Power-slide is an awesome combination. Especially for games where you want to stay away from your opponents or get from A to B by the quickest manner possible. Just be aware that a buggy is pretty fragile and probably won't survive a collision from another vehicle of a heavier weight class. Again especially if there is a ram on other said vehicle. I'd pretty much guarantee that as your 'race winning car' it will have a huge target on it and will likely be targeted before even getting off of the starting line.

The RC Cars look really good, certainly as a flexible dropped weapon. 4D6 is not to be sniffed at, but for the extra mobility you forfeit things like putting cars on fire but you still get the blast ability which is pretty cool for ramping up hazards on your opponents.

Car with a ram is pretty sound. From last week, I can testify that they work rather well against buggies... ...just a shame it was my buggy...

Miyazaki is one of the sponsors I'm toying with for a campaign but am wondering how well they'll actually hold up in things like Arena of Death and Flag Tag. I don't think anyone else can hold a candle to them in Death Race but that does mean someone is likely to detour from going through the gates to ensure that you don't reach the last one. To me, a lot depends on the campaign format and the races within the campaign as to who I'm likely to go with. Miyazaki, Highway Patrol, Warden and maybe Verney if the alternative campaign structure, Mishkin would definitely get a look in if you could buy more vehicles as you went through.

That said, everyone we've taken/played to date has been close, and no sponsor seems to be massively OP against any one else. Granted, there will always be match-ups that are harder than others but with 3 or more players, it's likely to be a lottery! Your planned team has just as much chance as anything we've put together.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby Brad85 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:04 am

I also have the book now... only skimmed it so far though.
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:13 pm

If you want basic tokens / templates try Blotz.
For expensive ones try Litko
Chimeric designs are nice
Sarrisa have some very nice ones

Depending on what upgrades you would like you may need quite a few rc cars, large & small templates.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:13 pm

If we do a campaign Miyazaki is outlawed.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Tom » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:58 pm

Is that a serious ban or just a grumpy aftermath of a game?

Iā€™ve re-thought over to the one that pinballs off collisions for extra moves now. Seems a chaotic laugh and a fun challenge to work out how to keep getting the side-on-side collisions in.
Tom
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Mike » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:48 pm

Tom wrote:Is that a serious ban or just a grumpy aftermath of a game?

Iā€™ve re-thought over to the one that pinballs off collisions for extra moves now. Seems a chaotic laugh and a fun challenge to work out how to keep getting the side-on-side collisions in.

Yep serious and grumpy.
Miyazaki get a free push as part of their sponsorship which makes them faster, more controlable and easier to get round obstacles.
Specially when you can take Daring - Chrome Whisperer for 2 cans. They get another reroll for 1 hazard, 3 rolls of the shift dice.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:57 pm

Much as I want to take the molotov-chucking, rammed monster truck, I'm seeing why it might not be a good starting crew. :(

Will just leave it on the shopping list for when they've made some cans. :twisted:
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:11 am

Mike wrote:If we do a campaign Miyazaki is outlawed.

A little extreme and possibly a tad salty... :o

Whilst I'll concede that in a 1v1 Death Race, a spec'ed up Miyazaki crew would be favourite for the win (when they get going, they really can motor), they're nowhere near as hot in anything that involves taking damage (Arena of Death, Flag Tag etc). Given that a campaign is likely to be multiplayer rounds, more people will be able to, and probably very willing to, chase down anything that is heading off into the distance. It's worth remembering that they are limited in the vehicles that they can take which means they do tend to be a little more on the fragile side.

Looking back at the season we ran virtually, it was pretty even across most rounds even the final 'alternative' death race given the carnage we were causing - I will concede I did rinse Mike in the first Death Race though. Capture the flag went to Miyazaki, Arena of Death was a convincing win for Verney and Sat Night Live was a bit of a toss-up really as it was getting increasingly harder to score the points and neither of us were really sure what we were doing. I think I only edged that one due to one of my bikes picking up something like the Audience's Favourite in the post-game damage rolls.

Having been consistently on the receiving end (standalone games) of a bit of a spanking thanks to Verney's Trunk of Junk, sludge-thrower upgrade and templated dropped weapons (with the occasional Gyro-copter), there'd be just a strong argument to ban Verney.

They've all got their pro's and con's, and as mentioned before, some races suit certain sponsors more than others. It's just about ensuring getting the right spread across the campaign.

Darkson wrote:Much as I want to take the molotov-chucking, rammed monster truck, I'm seeing why it might not be a good starting crew. :(

It would be fun though. Put hot-start on it (just don't ARBBL dice roll for which gear :lol: ) for real fun and games off of the start line...
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby Chojin » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:44 am

If anyone wants some Gaslands templates 3D printed, let me know and I'll see what I can do :geek:
Chojin
Pumpkin Soup

PreviousNext

Return to Post-Apocalypse games