The New World Order - TWD Spring Campaign

Re: The New World Order - TWD Spring Campaign

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:27 pm

DaVinci's Cat wrote:Another document that might be useful is the current FAQ:

http://www.manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/FREE%20RULES/TWD%20FAQ%20and%20Errata%2006-02-18.pdf

And Mike, you can move Supply Counters between survivors - it's in the above. I knew I'd seen it somewhere... ;)

Ok, but still within the backpack limit?
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:30 pm

Tom wrote:Oooh! Optional rule for more 'fun':

Attracting Walkers

To keep you on your toes, if MAYHEM is caused and no
Walkers are moved as a result, instead a Walker enters
play at the point on the board edge closest to the source
of the MAYHEM, outside of any Survivors’ Kill Zones.

Are we including this?

As a completely none causing mayhem band I agree. :evil:
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Ronq » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:21 am

Mike wrote:

Attracting Walkers

Are we including this?

As a completely none causing mayhem band I agree. :evil:

As a mayhem causing band I agree
Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.
Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Ronq
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:19 pm

Mike wrote:
DaVinci's Cat wrote:Another document that might be useful is the current FAQ:

http://www.manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/FREE%20RULES/TWD%20FAQ%20and%20Errata%2006-02-18.pdf

And Mike, you can move Supply Counters between survivors - it's in the above. I knew I'd seen it somewhere... ;)

Ok, but still within the backpack limit?

Yep. Remembering that supply counters don't take up backpack slots, you just can't have more counters than you have backpack slots.

Attracting Walkers

Are we including this?

Given the weight of opinion, let's go for it - at least until the mid way stage of the campaign as we should be in a target rich environment. We can always review later when we've lost our crews to the insane number of zombies roaming the boards... :roll:
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:28 pm

Given that the first round of the campaign is very nearly upon us, it is worth taking the time to clarify a couple of points that will be needed for the majority of rounds.

Firstly, standard decks. Two standard decks of cards should be used for each round; Supplies and Events. Certain scenarios (or the Iron Fist) will mention removing and inserting certain cards from/into each deck depending on the mission played and the location. To that end it is worth pointing out what should be in the standard decks...

Standard Supply Deck: Ammo Reload x 3, Bandages x 3, Booby Trap, Football Pads, Hockey Stick, Lurker x 2, Metal Pipe, Nothing, Old Gun, Tyre Iron, Two-by-Four

Standard Event Cards: Alarm!, Feeding Frenzy, Frayed Nerves, Pandemonium x 2, Roamers x 2, The Herd, The Hunger x 2, The Walking Dead, There’s a Storm Comin’, Too Quiet, Won’t Stay Down x 2

Secondly, it is worth refreshing yourselves with the rules regarding Experience. These were covered in the initial thread but I've copied the text here for ease:

At the end of every game, a character that was not removed as a casualty, receives an Experience Bonus of 1 Red Die and has their points value increased by 3 pts. The die can then be allocated to any of the Survivor’s melee, shoot or defence characteristics, or saved (to the Survivor's own dice pool) to spend on other improvements later on.
After calculating any experience increases, survivors can exchange any 2 red dice (from their characteristics or saved dice pool) for a single white die, or 2 whites for a single blue. The only caveat here is that not characteristic may have a total of more than three dice. In addition, you can exchange any three dice to upgrade a Survivor’s nerve by one level or to learn a special rule of your choice (similar to the experience card upgrades).

It's worth noting that exchanging three dice is agnostic of colour, so changing 3 red dice will clearly be better than using any of the other colours...

And finally, I've being trying to figure out a method of keeping track of everyone's progress without it being a real chore but being open for everyone to see. Dave has come up with a really good suggestion of having an individual thread (probably best to name it The New World Order - (Faction Name) Progress) for each faction to be able to keep track of your progress. This could be as simple as just a points and equipment update, or go as far as some notes or a paragraph of 'Battle Report' with crew details (income and expenditure etc) and outcomes. I'm certainly going to keep track of my faction is this manner - mainly so someone else can pick me up for bad maths... It also means I can track the main details for ranking purposes a little easier and won't spend too much time hassling people for information.

Other than the standard ins and outs of your faction (kit and bodies!), can you please keep a track of how many zombies you kill (removed by headshots from your faction attacks) and enemy Survivor's you incapacitate. Initially these will be used as a method for settling tie-breaks but more importantly, identifying who is the top Zombie Killer and who is trying to emulate Negan.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:53 pm

Just want to clarify a point regarding the post game up-keep phase:

In the original discussion thread and based on the published Campaign Rules, there was a points bonus for winning and drawing a game, but no benefit from gaining supply counters (certainly not in terms of keeping the kit you found). For The New World Order Campaign, this win/draw bonus (10pts & 5pts respectively) only comes into effect if you play a scenario with no supply counters. For games where supply counters are in effect, your win bonus is effectively the number of territories gained in addition to keeping the kit you find.

A question that came up this evening after a final warm up game was 'Is there a limit to the amount of kit you can hold in your crew's stash?' Currently, no there isn't. However I can see the point when you've got enough lumps of 4x2 to start a lumber-yard. Thoughts and suggestions very welcome on this.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby Mike » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:22 pm

You can cash in the cards as if they were credits. 10 2x4 to buy a chain worth 10 or cash in for half the cred based on equipment value.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:37 pm

Given that a few good points that came up during the first campaign round, this is just to clarify and clear up any confusion that may be out there.

Mike wrote:You can cash in the cards as if they were credits. 10 2x4 to buy a chain worth 10 or cash in for half the cred based on equipment value.

1. There isn't any trading mechanism just yet - we haven't explored enough of the board or come into any meaningful contact with other groups we'd wish to trade with. There will be a mechanism later in the campaign by which you will be able to trade in (not with others just yet) your excessive number of 2x4's and tire irons...

2. Any equipment you pick up from scavenging (supply tokens) you keep, even if you were 'killed' during the game; as long as you don't die permanently in the campaign up-keep phase. If the character does die, all equipment they were carrying is lost.

3. Regaining of Health. If you have a character that starts the campaign round carrying an injury from the previous round (ie reduced wounds), you have 2 options.
i) You can 'bench' the character for the coming round (they take no part in the game) and regain all health back up to their maximum - represents convalescing in your hideout.
ii) If the character takes part in the campaign round and they survive the game (they are still on the table after the final end phase and the character up-keep phase), they gain 1 wound back. If they don't survive the game, then any wounds lost in the up-keep phase compound the already lower starting wounds.

And finally from an up-keep perspective, can you all update me with your new crew values so that I can start up the leader-board. You can either just let me know the value or put it in your campaign log if you are running one and I'll lift it from there. Remember to include the fact that characters that gained a red die of experience will now cost 3 pts more, and any equipment you scavenged also has a points value - Booby traps and empty boxes don't! (I've tried to show the increase in points and subsequent crew value in my log as an example).

Tire Irons: 10pts, 2x4: 5pts, Bandages: 5pts, Ammo Reload: 8pts, Old Gun: 8pts - If anything managed to nab anything else and is unsure of the cost, just let me know.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby Tom » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:42 am

Given Mike's rather crushing first game (sorry...) should we be considering some kind of minimum band value safety net? As gains are very much linked to success there's a risk that an early harsh blow like this is going to cause a quick unrecoverable death spiral which is no fun for anyone.

Like if someone is physically unable to field the 125 points we started with, let them have a passing wanderer plus their gear as a temporary freebie as long as this doesn't take their band value over 125 points?
Tom
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:51 pm

Fair point Tom. However there is the opportunity at any stage for a crew to be retired (due to heavy losses etc). All points gained up to that point are removed and the next campaign turn they start afresh with a new roster at 125pts - so sort of has the same effect in the early stages as the passing wanderer except that a new crew is totally refreshed (carries no legacy wound reductions etc) and gives the opportunity to change up some of the characters. Doing this in the first couple of turns is likely to be more beneficial than in later turns. In the early stages, the scenario objectives are not centred around eliminating the opponents crew, so 'eye's on the prize' should always be remembered. It's also worth remember that Mike was particularly unlucky on that one important dice - anything but a 6... :?

That said, I was thinking about the problem as well, and was going to suggest that certain rounds will have either a dedicated scenario or solo mission and be capped at XXX points and maybe even the number of characters you can take - that way it's an even match up and will allow some 're-grouping' for crews that have taken a beating and hopefully provides a bit of a speed bump for the more successful crews in terms of points generation.

Thoughts?
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

PreviousNext

Return to The Walking Dead