Kings of War - Vanguard

Vanguard stuff goes here

Re: Kings of War - Vanguard

Postby Ray » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:17 pm

Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:34 pm

Passing on it at the moment, hopefully they'll do a rulebook only pledge.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:17 pm

I think they said somewhere in the comments that they will add the rulebook as an add on tomorrow. They have already stated that the $1 pledge gives pledge managed access so add on only pledges should be a thing.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Tom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:21 am

Doesn't seem to be off to a great start. Their base offer isn't great value if you already backed the terrain crate and aren't interested in either of the two included bands.

I'm sure there's plenty more planned for stretch goals but without a compelling opening offer they may never be reached!
Tom

Postby Ray » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:07 pm

It does seem to be going really badly for them and I can see why. I'm in at the moment but won't stay in unless things improve greatly. At it stands, neither of the deals are very good, and no use at all to people who already own scenery or aren't interested in either of the factions.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Tom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:57 pm

Updated with some starter bands for all factions, which they clearly needed to do from the start. But even then it appears to just be random selections of KoW figures. You'd think they'd have a few new sculpts for each faction (especially as the alpha lists have things they don't have figures for) but it seems they thought they could carry this entirely on their two new factions.

Can't see anything to make me not wait for retail currently.
Tom

Postby Ray » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:55 pm

With the lack of kickstarter exclusive things and relatively high cost, I may well be doing the same. I do get the feeling they are really taking this to kickstarter to fund production of nightstalkers and an expanded basilean range for kings of war. They really don't need the money up front to produce pvc or resin models since they have done just that without kickstarter for various recent kings of war releases.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Dave » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:50 pm

I really don't get Kickstarter (my age I guess).

People are commenting on the comments section that it's rubbish, but how can a company possibly afford to do any this nonsense if everyone expects $100s of free stuff!?
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Dave wrote:but how can a company possibly afford to do any this nonsense if everyone expects $100s of free stuff!?

Many Kickstarter companies (Mantic being one of the culprits) have spoilt board/wargame backers by throwing stuff at backers (often then having issues later), so some backers now expect it and complain when there aren't "freebies" involved.

Backed for a rulebook.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Ray » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Part of the value issue comes from mantic's other products. For $5 less than the Kickstarter you can buy the battle of the glades two player kings of war starter which comes with the rulebook and 80 models, as opposed to the vanguard Kickstarter equivalent where you get a rulebook, 16 models, and some dice, counters, cards, and objectives. The kings of war starter can also be had without having to wait a year or more and can be bought for even less from online discounters.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

PreviousNext

Return to Vanguard