Kings of War - Vanguard

Vanguard stuff goes here

Kings of War - Vanguard

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:37 pm

It appears Mantic are delving into the fantasy skirmish genre with their skirmish game based in the KoW universe.

https://manticblog.com/2017/10/23/kings ... rd-combat/

I like what I have read about it over on dakka but it’s going to be a kickstarter. :roll:

Could be just what I’ve been looking for! (Although I have said that about every fantasy skirmish game I’ve played in the last 10 years so....)

Thoughts?
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: Kings of War - Vanguard

Postby Ray » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:55 pm

I will be buying into this. Cross compatibility of the models with kings of war means even if the game turns out to be rubbish they will still get use. The rules seem similar to deadzone, but without the grid based movement system. Alternate activation, assignable resources (power dice), model facing, a campaign system, and possibility of tying in games with kings of war, are all plus points to me.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:07 pm

Posted this on FB, I'm keeping an eye on it, but do I really want another fantasy skirmish?
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Yes, yes you do. ;)

Unless someone else backs it and they are content for me to piggyback on their pledge I’ll wait until it hits retail.

I really hope the campaign stuff is good, let’s hope they have learnt from their dungeon saga experience.
Dave

Postby Tom » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:40 pm

If there's a good deal on some figures/scenery then maybe. Otherwise wait and see.
Tom

Postby Tom » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:58 pm

Read all their blogs and I'm quite keen on what I see. Their example character card being the same model as my Frostgrave wizard certainly gets me thinking I could get some goblin action going. Square bases though.
Tom

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:14 am

I hope they do some buildings for it but I reckon all the other stuff you need is covered by their Terrain crate Kickstarter.

I watched a game play video and I don’t think using round bases will be a major problem, common sense will be able to dictate when you’re in someones side or rear arc.
Dave

Postby Ray » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:34 am

There are no side arcs and the rear arc starts at a line directly across the back of the base. It could be done with a template and round bases if facing was marked on the base in some way, but it's going to be really hard to agree on by sight. What's the problem with square bases anyway?
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Tom » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Nothing other than that the models I'd likely use are already on rounds. They can sit on a plastic square, it's no biggie.
Tom

Postby Ray » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:16 pm

That answer makes me happy. I thought for a second you might have been joining the online community of "square bases are the end of the world" people. You would be surprised how much complaining there has been about it in places.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Next

Return to Vanguard