Isolation gaming

Any chance to play outside of club night

Re: Isolation gaming

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:57 am

I think we are out of practice on BoardGames. Hell boy short and easy selected. First time both of us knocked out.

Nice to be back to Tuesday night wargaming.
Thank you Simon for running the game.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:27 am

Will try later ivcam. Load ap on phone and PC. Connect phone via usb.

Just need to work out how to use via microsoft teams.

If this works will need to sort out stand for phone.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:32 am

An interesting test session last night. Clearly some more work needs to be done regarding the hosting aspects. Microsoft Teams works well and the advantage is that it free - users can either just download the app (which you'd be prompted to do when first clicking on the meeting request) or join via your browser.

I think we've identified that we need to capture the video and the be able to stream or show it separately (potentially as a screen share within teams rather than having to stream to something like YouTube) so that it remains 'full screen', so time for a bit more research and testing at home over the following week. Given I've got a Logitech camera, I'll probably start with their free software (logitech capture) and see how that works. That said, if anybody has any experience in this area, please feel free to give me some pointers!

From a gaming perspective, the concept seems to work well with Co-Op or Semi Co-Op type games and would probably work well with anything that doesn't have anything hidden from a 'central' pool/deck. With practice, you could possibly do things like TWD, Malifaux, X-wing and anything else on a relatively small board, but would need a movable camera to help show details/positioning to the player at the end of the stream.

Without stating the obvious, I think everybody needs to roll their own dice. We sorted out a conversion table as Mike was missing a set of appropriate dice and that seemed to work reasonably well. Having someone roll for you would be pretty boring!

My intention is to certainly continue to try and make this work, as even if things try to edge towards a return in July, there will probably still be caveats and not everyone will be able to fully return due to personal/family shielding concerns and the like.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:20 am

My walking dead starter box is in the scout hut cupboard, if you can get down there help yourself to the dice.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:28 pm

How about Talisman if anyone has it?
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:57 pm

Has anyone played Krosmaster Arena or Galaxy Defenders (Ares games)

Wondering how good the are as they look suitable for online gaming.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Ronq » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:34 am

Has anyone had a look at this yet? https://en.boardgamearena.com/ Seems to have a good selection of games and apparently you can play for free?
Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.
Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Ronq
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby Dave » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:32 pm

Iā€™ve downloaded tabletop simulator to play some solo Elder Scrolls.

If anyone is playing board games give me a shout.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Brad85 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:28 pm

We've been playing on Boardgame Arena a lot lately - cheaper than keep buying everything :lol:
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Previous

Return to ARBBL on tour