Understanding Summoning

Re: Understanding Summoning

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:14 pm

I’ve posted a question on the Wyrd forum specifically about Sonnia’s summoning ability as I’m going round in circles with it! (If I’d known I was going to grow up to play Malifaux I would have tried harder in English lessons!)

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforum ... -the-soul/
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Brad85 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:25 pm

I think...

Resolve this as the action..
Target suffers damage from the Burning Condition equal to the value of its Burning Condition (to a maximum of 5 damage).

Then do this as bookkeeping,
Reduce the value of the target's Burning Condition by 5.

Although that will more often remove the condition I guess..?

Then get this happy bonus if the target dies
If this kills the target, Summon a Witchling model with equal or lower Cost than the target, with an Enthralled Upgrade Attached, into base contact with the target.

So, I don't think they need to be at 5 or more to get the summon
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:27 pm

I think they happen in sequence, so If I can’t remove the 5 Burning then I don’t get to go to the next step of summoning a model if the target died?
Dave

Postby Tom » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:28 pm

Pretty sure it should work if the burning kills any enemy at any value. If there's less than 5 burning then you just reduce to zero. Doesn't affect the next bit about triggering the summon.
Tom

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:29 pm

Cool. I mean that’s good for me!
Dave

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:49 pm

Tom wrote:Pretty sure it should work if the burning kills any enemy at any value. If there's less than 5 burning then you just reduce to zero. Doesn't affect the next bit about triggering the summon.

Absolutely the above.

Scorch the Soul is pretty similar to Lynch's Succumb to Darkness in terms of the mechanic. On the assumption that you win the opposed duel :roll: rather than flip for damage, the enemy takes damage equal to the value of the condition up to a max value of 5 (in this case, burning). For you, clearly, the more the merrier.

Reduce the condition by 5, so if you some how managed to get them to burning 6+, they would still have the condition, if 5 or less, the condition is effectively removed.

The next sentence is a statement in it's own right, it doesn't matter how much damage they took, as long as they were killed by taking that damage you can summon the required Witchling. So pick on a high cost model with low wounds, throw the appropriate amount of burning on it and Scorch the Soul. Winner.

Dave wrote:Cool. I mean that’s good for me!

It is indeed!
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Previous

Return to Malifaux