I wish I'd known that before...

Re: I wish I'd known that before...

Postby Brad85 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:06 pm

fun fact, just remembered that snipers can move 4" if engaged as a bonus action :oops:

I don't think that would have saved them though. one was next to height 2 crates with 2 enemies in front of him, so after the 4" move he'd still be engaged while stood up on the boxes :roll:
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:21 pm

Brad85 wrote:fun fact, just remembered that snipers can move 4" if engaged as a bonus action :oops:

I don't think that would have saved them though. one was next to height 2 crates with 2 enemies in front of him, so after the 4" move he'd still be engaged while stood up on the boxes :roll:

Doh!
Dave wrote:Are you getting much use out of The Whisper on Kirai? Is it all about just trying to make sure you get a decent flip for the summon?

When I remember to use it. Only remembered to use it twice in the five turns last night. Clearly I failed to learn from my first and second failures.

Primarily used for getting a decent summons flip and confirming whether or not I need to stone for the suit or cheat in from my control hand. I had to use it for some low level card cycling yesterday - had a turn where I looked at the cards and had 2x 13s and the Black Joker. Put them back down so that I had a 13 for summons (needed to stone for suit), had Kirai attempt a heal but used the BJ leaving me the final 13 for either my next defensive duel, of if I got lucky, my next attack action.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby Brad85 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:28 pm

Dave wrote:For my part I wish I’d known....

What constitutes a WP duel! (I think we played it right, lesson; don’t rely on forums for rules).

Found this on Ikiryo card...

TERRIFYING (11): After an enemy model targets this model with an Attack Action, the enemy model must pass a TN 11 Wp duel or the Action fails.
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:24 pm

Dave wrote:For my part I wish I’d known....
What constitutes a WP duel! (I think we played it right, lesson; don’t rely on forums for rules).

After reading Toni's card, I can see where the confusion comes from. Also had a quick look on the Forums and one of the Mods summed it up quite nicely like this:

'If you use your will power stat then it's a willpower duel for you, but if you don't use your willpower then it's not a willpower duel for you.'

There was quite a bit of reference to M2e where the differences were a little more explicit and hence, easier to understand. Clearly this hasn't quite carried over into M3e.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby Brad85 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:10 am

Sonnia creates so much fire :shock:

it was actually insane the amount of burning on the table, no summoning though. Quick Q; who places the corpse/scrap marker when a model dies? It became very important in the last turn's last couple of activations.

Was a good, and challenging game, despite being down to only 3 units (Misaki, Puppet and Torakage) I managed to get the full points off both the Research Mission and Spread Them Out schemes, Didn't have the coverage to grab/deny on Turf War though, so Dave took the game 7-6.
Full crew was; Misaki, Shang, Minako, Yamaziko, 2 Torakage, Samurai, Crime Boss, Puppet

I am starting to think that showing off with the speed of the crew in turn 1 might not be the best idea :lol: . Start phase of turn 1 Misaki buried and left a shadow right next to her and one positioned for a Torakge to bounce off for greater distance in turn 1.
The first activation was Misaki unburying to push the 2 Torakage into contact with the nearest 2 Strat markers and the Crime Boss toward the middle one.
Plans from there; left Torakage interacted with the Strat, bounced to the shadow marker, then moved up to be in position to drop a scheme marker over Dave's side of the line.
The right Torakage took their Strat marker and moved up. Then things started getting set on fire or dying (if you're the left flank Torakage). The plan with the puppet was to move him up and use his ability to give an interact action to the Torakage on the left in turn 2 so he could use his full move to run off. Nope.

Despite Dave's pleas to save him with Shang ( :lol: ) I allowed my Crime Boss to burn to death, but on Dave's table half, after interacting with the middle Strat marker. Leaving me a start point toward going after Research Mission and 3 Strat markers toward Turf War.
The original plan was to use the Boss to take out a Katashiro in Turn 2 and use the scrap marker, but when life gives you flaming lemons... I did summon a Katashiro and burned it out on Flicker Tokens attacking Dave's spellcaster chap, so it would collapse and leave a scrap marker, next to the Boss's corpse marker & the Strat marker. I unburied MIsaki last in T2 to take Research Mission using the charred and sacrified remains of her crew...

There's a reason I've never been called benevolent

From there Dave tore everyone apart in the middle of the board. I'd been using Yamaziko to back up the Samurai again and he churned out a decent shot at Sonnia. But most of his bonus from her got used in defence. Thanks to Dave's Purifying Flame going pop in the middle of them all, Minako, Yamaziko and the Samurai took a face full each.

I was left from turn 4 with not a lot on the board; the puupet and the remaining Torakage were over on Dave's side of the board. They'd managed to drop scheme markers in T3 to get Spread Them out. So it came down to keeping them out of trouble in T4 and setting up toward the schemes again, where possible.

In T5, the Torakage left a scheme marker on the right flank and ran off back to stand behind the Strat marker on Dave's back corner. Over T4 & 5 the puppet spammed scheme markers to try and cover that, he had one point of health left but clung in there to go toward Research Mission. T5 saw Misaki unbury on my side and charge & kill Dave's spellcaster getting a corpse marker out. Setting me up with 3 models, with 2" and LOS of 3 different markers for Research and I had enough scheme markers dotted about to pull in Spread Them Out a second time.
Due to a lot of passing, Misaki's activation was only followed by Sonnia (and Dave's last activation) trying to take out Misaki, luckily she lived.

This game was insane and there were more than a few moments where I didn't see how I could do anything of use. But that seems to be the beauty of Malifaux, keep moving and focus on the objective and it can go either way. Even if you have sod all left on the board! That kind of loss of models in other games can be potentially demoralising, but as Malifaux's objectives are more 'snatch n grab' rather than camp out on an objective marker you can stay in the game to the end. And having less models to think about kind of made life easier toward the end.
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:52 am

Good memory recall.

It was a fun and in the end a very close game.

I think I got lucky flips with the fire stuff to be honest, I don’t expect to be getting that much burning out in the future (I think the samurai had 9 or 10 Burning at one point!?).

You did well to stay in it and score as much as you did, as you say that’s what is great about Malifaux.

Perhaps an obvious statement but I think the early kills swung it for me (4 dead by the end of T2 I think), if you had even 1-2 extra models for turn 4 and 5 you could have got that 7th point or stopped me from getting it.

The early Torakage death was unfortunate and probably just down to you not knowing my card. Sam Hopkins is essentially a 4AP model (creep along and rapid fire) and a “normal” model wouldn’t have had the AP to get into range and kill that Torakage so your plan would have likely worked.

The only thing I would offer is don’t stone for a suit if you don’t have the numbered card in hand to cheat in to meet the TN.

Thanks for the game.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Brad85 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:00 pm

Dave wrote:The only thing I would offer is don’t stone for a suit if you don’t have the numbered card in hand to cheat in to meet the TN.

Or if I have the exact card in hand... :oops:
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:58 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write this up and well done on the close game, even though Dave managed to over-turn the 4-3 lead you had in turn 3/4.

Quite curious to know if you played this one again, what would either of you do differently this time around (if anything)?

Brad85 wrote:This game was insane and there were more than a few moments where I didn't see how I could do anything of use. But that seems to be the beauty of Malifaux, keep moving and focus on the objective and it can go either way. Even if you have sod all left on the board! That kind of loss of models in other games can be potentially demoralising, but as Malifaux's objectives are more 'snatch n grab' rather than camp out on an objective marker you can stay in the game to the end. And having less models to think about kind of made life easier toward the end.

Eyes on the prize! But remember, it's also about denial. It can be just as important to not give your opponent the opportunity to score their schemes (appreciate that this might be easier said than done!).
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby Brad85 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:16 pm

DaVinci's Cat wrote:Quite curious to know if you played this one again, what would either of you do differently this time around (if anything)?

Probably aimed my left flank Torakage at a different angle and held the Crime Boss back so they didn't die as soon. I'd made some bold assumptions (underestimations) about how much burning would be out there too, so thought I'd be fairly safe in open ground - as I got used to the terrain being almost meaningless against Kirai :lol:
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby Tom » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:09 pm

Last night’s Toni v Lucius was not too bad time-wise. Started 6ish. Done by 9:30.

I lost 7-8 but it was much more comfortably Dave’s win than the scoreline suggests. Toni managed to splatter Agent 46 on turn 2 before he had a single attack off! This left me lacking any punch and I only killed his three weakest models over the whole game while Toni battered my force off the table in short order.

The doppelgänger did some good work clearing the Symbols of Authority strat markers, and the Hunter I tried was good, but too expensive out of keyword I think.

I’m still at a loss as to how to deal with Toni. Need big guns or a really good tarpit I reckon.
Tom
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

PreviousNext

Return to Malifaux