Hired Guns

For all Necromunda, both new version and old

Hired Guns

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:16 am

Have been re-reading the rules and I just can’t see any reason why you would ever take them at their current cost (the whole point of them is to shore up your numbers whilst your gangers are in recovery but due to their cost being equal to or likely more than hiring a gang member then of course you’d just take the gang member. Cheap, expendable mooks they ain’t!)

So house rule time, hired guns now cost 15 creds+weapon costs and they count towards the maximum number of crew members allowed when determining crew size for scenarios.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: Hired Guns

Postby Tom » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:16 am

The reference is a bloody Twitch stream, but apparently the writers have confirmed they are intended to be in addition to crew limit for the scenario. Which makes them more worth paying for and the Fighting Pit pretty strong.
Tom

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:04 am

Ok let’s go with that then.

Lets assume Ray will now take the fighting pit so that leaves you to choose next. What you want?
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave

Postby Ray » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:02 pm

I was thinking of taking the tunnels instead but if the scum are in addition to regular gang selection it would be silly not to take them, so I guess scum it is. Now to work out where my scum models are, I know I have some somewhere.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Ray » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:40 pm

Had a read of the hired guns page and I don't think you would normally have to pay for the weapons. In the regular house lists it talks about ability to give people weapons (which you bought from the equipment list), but under hive scum it says that the hive scum himself can purchase up to 60 creds in weapons (using I would assume his own money from earlier jobs).

It's been interesting finding models to use for mine. Not a single one of the four classic sculpts is valid anymore. Three have weapons that are too rare, the other has 90 creds in bolt pistols. I've settled on using a couple of the old scavvie models. I found some which look tatty enough that they would hire themselves out to the highest bidder, but without any actual mutations.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Tom » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:50 pm

It's not clear in the rules which is why it's an extremely commonly asked question, but it has been confirmed by the writers multiple times that their intent is that you need to buy the hired-gun's gear and that afterwards they just walk off with it.
Tom

Postby Ray » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:32 pm

I honestly don't know why I bother reading GW rulebooks anymore. Every time I read one and figure out how the book says something should work it turns out that what they meant was something completely different.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Tom » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:12 pm

It would help if they answered these questions in sone kind of downloadable document rather than scattered on Twitter, Facebook and Twitch streams. But clearly that’s a crazy idea.
Tom

Postby Ray » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:29 pm

It's not like there's an actual faq and errata document you can download that doesn't contain any of these answers. Oh wait.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:22 pm

Having thought about this more, I'm now even more convinced that the original intent was that you didn't pay for the weapons.

Why have a 60 point limit on wargear for a Hive Scum if you have to pay for everything anyway?
If you are buying the wargear, where do the rare items come from? (Hive Scum can have item up to rare 7 regardless of what you rolled for rare trade)
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Next

Return to Necromunda