Necromunda Gameplay Discussion

For all Necromunda, both new version and old

Necromunda Gameplay Discussion

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:02 pm

Thought I'd break out this discussion from the Pre Order thread now that we have played our first games.

I thought it played well, nice back and forth and quite fluid considering our lack of rules knowledge.

One thing for more in depth reading was how to put out people on fire.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: Necromunda Gameplay Discussion

Postby Tom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:56 pm

With the charge rules and the ā€˜freeā€™ push in to base contact, Iā€™ve been mulling it over for a while as it is clearly a pretty key concept. All that asking on FB communities has achieved is confirmation that it can definitely be read both ways and that people like arguing!

Iā€™ve settled on my best guess being no free push, itā€™s a terrible wording for trying to say that if you canā€™t reach b2b then you canā€™t go within 1ā€.
Tom

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:17 pm

I do think youā€™re right, they have used strange wording.

Essentially my take on it is:

In the movement rules you canā€™t move to within 1ā€ of an enemy.

The charging rules let you ignore this movement rule but only if you end your charge move in base to base contact.
Dave

Postby Ray » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:52 pm

That's the conclusion I've come to as well.

I think the most important thing is the we come across these questions and decide how we are dealing with them before starting the campaign so everyone knows how these things work
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:16 pm

Not being involved in this discussion in any way it appears to me that if you've played GW games before it makes sense and if you're new to their games it makes a different sense. I know GW want new blood in their games but are they ready?
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Tom » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 pm

A big bit of the confusion seems to be that new 40k rules do involve all kinds of sliding in to combat so people are coming with that in their minds already.
Tom

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:58 pm

The 40k system is that you are engaged if within an inch so you only have to reach that to make it into combat, but at the start of the actual combat everyone gets an extra 3" pile in move. Your models also get to fight if they are within an inch of someone who is within an inch of the enemy so units essentially fight in two ranks. You also get a 3" move afterwards towards the closest enemy model (on a model by model basis). Necromunda clearly has none of this at all.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Tom » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:33 pm

There's a general feeling on the internet that the toxin rules are supposed to kick in no matter how many wounds you have left. But the current wording of the rule is that the toxin rules are ā€˜instead of making an injury rollā€™ and injury rolls don't kick in until you run out of wounds.

Thoughts?
Tom

Postby JAC » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:20 pm

Dunno about that not got that far. But we did our close combat slightly wrong, did wonder at the time but it turns out if you use a pistol in cc you need to roll the ammo dice too.
Wolves, what wolves...
#itsoktonotbeok #lifttheweight
JAC
Pumpkinhead

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:45 pm

They are a bit of a mess, I am happy to play as written but the intent is that they don't roll injury dice but rather you do the Toughness test whenever the model suffers a wound (not an injury, this is where GW seem to get their own terminology mixed up at times) and, regardless of number of wounds the model has remaining, if you fail you go out of action (this is based on having seen some interviews with the Australian designer where he explicitly stated this is how they "work").
Last edited by Dave on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave

Next

Return to Necromunda