KoW Campaign Rules

KoW Campaign Rules

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:23 am

Whilst it's still fresh in my mind I'll try and get as much of what we discussed down in writing. Feel free to confirm/correct anything and/or add more. In no particular order:

1) Reduce the size of the map and remove the two independent cities.

2) We will randomly generate realms which in turn will randomly generate a starting treasury with which to buy army banners. Unspent points can be banked for later.

3) Banners will be a minimum size of 500 points and a maximum size of 1,000 points. They will comform to the army list building rules as laid out in the KoW rule book.

4) Each banner will be numbered and will contain a set army list, this cannot be changed until the banner retires to winter quarters at the end of the campaigning season. (I would suggest that two 500< point banners can merge during the campaign season).

5) Each player will start with a random allocation of baggage (the Mighty Empires rules state 2d6 but we can change this to 1d6+3 or even link it to what territories the realm consists of i.e capital city generates 3, cities 2, villages and castles 1).

6) If a banner cannot sustain itself by using baggage and is not in a tile that can sustain it (e.g a tile with a village can sustain one banner) then it must spend it's next turn foraging. Banners which are foraging can make no other actions other than to defend themselves if attacked.

7) When two opposing armies meet in the same hex a battle is fought. Each unit that is broken/routed during the tabletop battle is removed from the banner with half of their points value being credited to the owning player's treasury (this applies to both sides, winner and loser of the battle). In addition the losing army must retreat into an adjacent friendly hex (if there are no friendly hexes treat the banner as destroyed?)

8) Each player will be given a randomly assigned secret objective. This objective can only be achieved by that player. To achieve it he must be the only player at the end of any campaign season who fulfils the defined victory conditions (e.g be the only player to control 4 or more villages).

9) At the beginning of each campaign season a random public objective is chosen which all of players have the opportunity to achieve. However only one player may score the victory points for the objective, if two or more players fulfil the conditions then it remains in play until such a time as only one player does. It can only be achieved at the end of the campaign season.

10) Territory bonuses: Not sure where we ended up on this but something like:

i) If you control an entire river gain bonus income from the trade it brings.
ii) Tiles with a castle will contribute an additional 250 points to a defending force.
iii) Capital city will contribute 250 points to a defending force.
iv) In order to recruit a dragon you must first have occupied a dragon lair tile at the end of a campaign season. Once recruited you do not lose the dragon should you lose control on the tile.

Cheers,
Dave
Last edited by Dave on Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: KoW Campaign Rules

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:50 am

Objectives:

Each objective scores the player 1 victory point. I'll try and come up with some names, and until we've played it we won't really know what quantities to use, but the conditions are as follows (where x = an as yet undetermined number):

1) Control x villages* (this becomes x+1 for each campaign season that it is not achieved?)

2) Control x castles (this becomes x+1 for each campaign season that it is not achieved?)

3) Control x cities (this becomes x+1 for each campaign season that it is not achieved?)

4) Control x tiles of any type

5) Have a fleet of x ships (?)

6) Control x wooded/highland/river/coastal tiles

7) Capture x independent settlement(s)

8) Capture x territories from opposing player(s)

9) Control both Highland tiles which contain dragon lairs.

*The terrain table will generate more villages than castles and cities so I suggest that the x in the "control x villages" objective is higher than the other two objectives.

Happy to come to a consensus on what x should equal.
Dave

Postby nobby » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:11 pm

Sorry I wasn't there last night, started to feel really rough again and had a few issues at home.

Got a question about this, say we had 2-3 armies that managed to out manoeuvre someone and all pounced at once on one army, could the total points be used or say each separate army came onto the battlefield in waves like at for example, Waterloo with the Prussians? Obviously it would take some cunning and chess like moves to pull it off, but would it be feasible? Just want to get the rules down exact before the cavalry hordes start kicking all your arses :D

Also I wont be down next week for definite as Charlotte is away for a few days, if you fancy popping over dave to roll up my starting territories that would be good ;)
nobby
Pumpkinhead

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:06 pm

This is awkward, forgot about you and kind of cracked on with stuff.....I'm waiting to hear from Gary as forgot him too, once he's confirmed I'm sure we can rejig things.

Are you getting lifts down now then? the winter months are coming......

Cheers,
Dave
Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:49 pm

Sorted.

To answer your question I don't really know! What do you think?

A simple solution could be as many banners as you want up to a maximum of 1,500/2,000 points but after they have fought they must withdraw to the hex from which they came (even if they win).

EDIT: that is to say the supporting banners withdraw.
Dave

Postby nobby » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:18 am

That would make sense, I don't see any reason why it couldn't happen apart from ineptitude. So it probably won't happen :D
nobby
Pumpkinhead

Postby nobby » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:25 am

Also. You tit.
nobby
Pumpkinhead

Postby Mike » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:25 am

nobby wrote:Also. You tit.

Blue or long tailed or did you mean twit.
Was that Dave or you?

Downloaded the rules for mighty empires and noticed the forage rule. I understand the baggage rules better. So where we stated if no baggage then lose a move rule does sound easier regarding loss of troops etc. if have baggage can move if not cant.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby nobby » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:05 am

That was Dave, but in fairness I didn't let anyone know but Si that I wasn't going to come down. And I can't next week :(
nobby
Pumpkinhead

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Some other ideas:

Fortresses only provide the 250 point bonus if there is a banner in the hex (otherwise the garrison will surrender in the face of overwhelming odds).

Crossing rivers and mountains takes two turns

Or

When crossing rivers or mountains roll on the following chart:

1 A time consuming search by the armies scouts result in a perilous passage being found, the delay results in the army taking two turns to cross/climb the feature. In addition transporting supplies proves impossible, the banner loses all its baggage.
2 A time consuming search by the armies scouts result in a safe passage being found, the delay results in the army taking two turns to cross/climb the feature.
3-6 A safe passage is quickly found and the army moves as normal.
Dave

Next

Return to Kings of War