Map Based Campaign

Map Based Campaign

Postby Dave » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:07 am

EDIT: I’ll put the list of armies here.

Ben - Northern Alliance.
Brad - Forces of Nature/Basilian
Gary - Green Lady or Skaven.
Ray - Dwarves.
Mike - Abysal Dwarves/Maybe something new.
Tom - Undead of some kind.
Simon - Northern Alliance (only Vanguard).
Dave - Varangur/Ogres.

As I plug away at building what seems like a never ending pile of models my thoughts turn to that map campaign we tried once, you remember, the one that died almost immediately!

I wonder if, now that I think we have a more stable group, we might give it another try.

I am not proposing that we play it as one of the gaming “seasons” but rather in the off season, so very much a slow grow and in it for the long haul type of thing.

It doesn’t even have to be KoW, it could probably work at a skirmish level with something like Vanguard if that’s more manageable for people. Open to suggestions.

Full of enthusiasm for the idea I went rummaging for the mighty empires set, which it seems I have sold! Not to be deterred I set about making some sample tiles, here’s an example of a starting Kingdom.

Anyway, before I go off and make a full map let me know your thoughts on the idea. I could probably make it work with one volunteer but the more the merrier!
Last edited by Dave on Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: Map Based Campaign

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:12 am

Definitely very interested if doing KoW
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Dave » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:16 pm

Cool. Here is the rulebook https://www.darkagepress.com/files/Migh ... es1990.pdf

I have made some changes to account for the way KoW handles casualty removal but otherwise the rules remain largely the same.

I’ll aim to get the map sorted by the time the Frostgrave campaign ends (and also I’ll hopefully have my army built by then!)
Dave

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:40 pm

I remember playing that ruleset back in (I think) 6th ed fantasy. I'll find time to have a read some time next week but I'm sure it will work fine. Did you want to do a small test run first or try to get as many involved as possible?
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Dave » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:58 pm

A test run would be great, even if it was just one evening to play through the campaign rules and refine/ditch any we find too laborious.

Whilst I don’t mind an up hill struggle some changes from the last campaign attempt (based on the reaction) would be identical starting kingdoms and sized armies rather than random.
Dave

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:11 pm

That makes sense, have everyone start off on an equal footing. Happy to have a quick play through at some point to test how it works, either on a club night or at some other time. If I remember rightly it has rules for resolving battles without actually playing them so we can test out the campaign system without access to tables/armies/scenery?
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:17 pm

Could it work using both KoW and Vanguard in the same campaign? I no interest in KoW, but would like to give VG another go.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Dave » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:45 pm

Cool, I’ll work on drafting the KoW specific changes.

Ray wrote:If I remember rightly it has rules for resolving battles without actually playing them so we can test out the campaign system without access to tables/armies/scenery?

Yeah, there are some rules for resolving battles with a d6 so can use them for the testing.

Darkson wrote:Could it work using both KoW and Vanguard in the same campaign? I no interest in KoW, but would like to give VG another go.

That would be awesome! I’ll have a think but might be adding a layer of complexity too far (not sure how a faction could only participate in one part of it?)
Dave

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:04 pm

No worries if it can't, just throwing it out there.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:40 pm

I think vanguard is probably better served as a gaming season at some point, probably not straight after the frostgrave one though. Better to have something else in between to separate the fantasy skirmish seasons.

I do have some ideas as to how a separate vanguard campaign could be influenced by the larger kings of war one though. Like having available scenarios/items/etc dictated by which faction has general control of the area, so the vanguard campaign feels like it's happening in maybe one of the cities on the map without having the games influence things. That would allow anyone to play either/both systems.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Next

Return to Kings of War