New Player Questions Thread

New Player Questions Thread

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:46 pm

My books came today so prepare yourselves for a deluge of annoying Dave questions. I’ll start with:

Titan base size, it’s not defined in the main book (Pg 8) and all I can find online is “typically come on a 75mm base”. I’m going to build my Cygor and use it as a Frost giant, can I put it on a chariot base (50x100)?
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: New Player Questions Thread

Postby Brad85 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:38 pm

It's on page 7

A Titan is a unit consisting of a single model - a being of both gargantuan size and strength.

Each Titan model has a 75mm square base.
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:01 pm

Goddammit, thanks.

I’ll have to come up with a work around as I’m putting him on that 50x100mm. Probably just sit him on a 75x75 for KoW games.

Cheers
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave

Postby Brad85 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:19 pm

Ah, if you read down the page - I think it's called Exceptional Bases - there's a bit that covers you.

Took me a few minutes to find it too! :lol:
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby Tom » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:35 pm

Do people tend to use Hordes/Legions at the size games you play? I can’t decide on the balance between fancy and flexible I want to go with for trays.
Tom

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:19 am

Tom wrote:Do people tend to use Hordes/Legions at the size games you play? I can’t decide on the balance between fancy and flexible I want to go with for trays.

We use hordes, mainly its all about unlocks. Hordes give you one of each of the three choices; hero, monster and war machine. If like me you don't have one (no war machine) then sometimes two regiments are better as they give you one of any.
Also hordes are hard to remove off of an objective, regiments can cover two. This is where the simplicity of KoW starts to become tactical.
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Ray » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:30 pm

Having a higher unit count in smaller games is useful, so I tend to only use 0-1 horde in 1k unless I'm playing undead where they are really cheap. In larger games taking more is fine because you will end up with enough units regardless.

40/50mm based things are a different story. Hordes have the same width as regiments here so you don't lose maneuverability, and regiments don't unlock any extra slots, so I always take hordes where possible.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Return to Kings of War