Tale of Four* Gamers

Tale of Four* Gamers

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:32 pm

*Well two anyway. Remember this is Mantic so always a smaller budget.
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Re: Tale of Four* Gamers

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:41 pm

My plan of action is as follows.

Going to put £20 away a month starting in April. This means in July I can purchase a starter set which will hopefully be here in August ready for painting. Then build up slowly over the following months using the budget and any models I've got lying around.

So all I have to do is;

1, Pick a race
2, Pick a Theme
3, Aim for a Hero, a melee infantry unit, a ranged infantry unit, and large infantry unit, with a cavalry unit, a monster and a war machine in the initial expansion.
4, Paint some models, (always the hardest bit)
5, Play small games starting Sept/Oct and slowly increase as army does.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Ray » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:01 pm

My plan is:

Race: Kingdoms of Men
Theme: Vikings (or at least a fantasy kingdom that resembles them)

I'm not going to set an actual budget because the best way to buy the models I am using is in assorted lots of 100 so will end up buying more than I need for any given points level and using the extras to expand later. My main aim is to keep up with how Gary's army is doing.

Of course if anyone else wants to join in that would be good too.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Ray » Thu May 23, 2019 2:09 pm

Update time! I actually finished all my existing models for the army. As you can see, my units are a little under strength right now...

IMG_7583.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Brad85 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:30 pm

After the taster game with Ray, I think i'm going to jump on this. But not with the Nightstalkers. Fancy keeping them seperate for Vanguard and running a different race for this - could some with some range unit variety.

I'll pick up the rule book in the coming weeks, absorb the fluff and make a decision based on who looks coolest rather than any tactical merit (per usual)
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby Ray » Thu May 23, 2019 8:22 pm

Brad85 wrote:I'll pick up the rule book in the coming weeks, absorb the fluff and make a decision based on who looks coolest rather than any tactical merit (per usual)

If you want proper fluff you will need the hardback rulebook rather than the gamer's edition. I think the background in general is intentionally all very generic fantasy though in order to allow people to do pretty much any army they like.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Thu May 23, 2019 8:49 pm

Ray wrote:
Brad85 wrote:I'll pick up the rule book in the coming weeks, absorb the fluff and make a decision based on who looks coolest rather than any tactical merit (per usual)

If you want proper fluff you will need the hardback rulebook rather than the gamer's edition. I think the background in general is intentionally all very generic fantasy though in order to allow people to do pretty much any army they like.

I can bring in the hardback if you want to borrow and read the fluff.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Thu May 23, 2019 11:51 pm

MoodyGit wrote:So all I have to do is;

1, Pick a race - Forces of Nature

2, Pick a Theme - Elemental Plane of Fire

3, A Hero, a Unicorn.
KOW hero.jpg

a melee infantry unit, a ranged infantry unit, and large infantry unit, with a cavalry unit, a monster and a war machine in the initial expansion.
4, Paint some models, (always the hardest bit)
5, Play small games starting Sept/Oct and slowly increase as army does.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Brad85 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:05 pm

MoodyGit wrote:I can bring in the hardback if you want to borrow and read the fluff.

If you don't mind.

Are there any rules differences between the usual KOW book and the Historical book? Both say they contain the core rules and lists are interchangeable. Considering the historical/mythical mash up route at the moment too.
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby Ray » Fri May 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Neither of us have the historical book yet, although it is going on my next order. I'm pretty sure the core rules are the same. I expect a lot of the lists to be lacking some of the generally better sorts of units in the game though, notably flying and breath weapons.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Next

Return to Kings of War