Campaign balancing

Including Ghost Archipelago, Rangers of Shadow Deep and Stargrave

Campaign balancing

Postby Ladril Caledor » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:42 am

After discussing how best to continue our Frostgrave campaign with Darkson and Pass on Tuesday, I have a couple of proposals:

#1 Because losing a wizard basically means the warband is finished, I think it should be OK to buy a Restore Life scroll (for the standard cost of 400) after the game and use it to bring the wizard back to life. This is arguably allowed within the standard rules anyway...the only possible counter-argument is it says the spell must be used 'immediately following a game' so someone might argue that you can't use it to bring back the wizard unless you already had it in the vault. My opinion is that is seems harsh for someone to have to drop out of the campaign if they are unlucky enough to roll 1 or 2 on the wizard injury table.

#2 Because the game has no balancing mechanic between more and less experienced warbands, I propose that we do our best to keep our warbands fairly close to each other. For example now most players have played one game, I think one warband has played two games. Lets try and manage things so no warband gets more than one or two games experience ahead of the others.

I believe this should keep all warbands in the game fairly close, give everyone roughly the same number of games, and stop less experienced warbands being crushed by powerful ones and falling even further behind.

My opinion is that Frostgrave is a great game and I believe these two proposals will ensure the campaign is balanced, fair, and fun for everyone involved.
Ladril Caledor
Pumpkin Pie

Re: Campaign balancing

Postby Tom » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:50 am

Both seem fair enough to me. 400GP seems a hefty enough penalty for wizard death.
Tom
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:01 pm

Would have buggered me - 4 treasures and only 110gp (unless you allow selling items at the same time, as I got 10 items of various types).
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Ladril Caledor » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:53 pm

I'd say you can sell items at the same time. It's fairly easy to make 400 gold by selling a few items. The magic items average 150 gold sale price, the scrolls 100 and the grimoires 250.

If we have a situation where someones wizard dies and they have no gold and not enough to sell, I'd be happy to allow a 400 gold loan from the 'Bank of Frostgrave' to be paid back later.
Ladril Caledor
Pumpkin Pie

Return to Frostgrave