Variable game length rule proposal

Including Ghost Archipelago, Rangers of Shadow Deep and Stargrave

Variable game length rule proposal

Postby Tom » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:21 am

I've come around to the view that the game having a set end, while not strictly necessary, will probably improve the game by focusing things on treasure hunting and avoiding the last few turns dragging out. However I'm also not terribly keen on anybody ever knowing for sure that they are on their final turn as this will inevitably colour their decisions. More uncertainty = more decisions and gambles = more fun.

So how about this:

Variable game length optional rules

We looked at the glittering pile of treasure just beyond the ruins to our left, we looked at the band of archers hunkered down in the building to our right, we looked at the ominous snow clouds forming thick and black on the horizon, then we turned our back on it all and headed for the warmth of home. Gold has little value unless you live to spend it.

The weather in Frostgrave is unpleasantly chilly at best and extremely hostile at worst. In a moment a blizzard can descend on an otherwise sunny day and all thoughts of treasure and fighting are swiftly forgotten in the rush for shelter and warmth. These rules are optional, but as they encourage a focus on treasure gathering over fighting, the lowest level wizard in the game should get the deciding vote if there is any disagreement over whether to use them or not.

Starting from the end of turn 5, at the end of every turn roll a dice. On a 1-10 conditions hold, play another turn as normal. On a 11-20 hostile weather closes in and the battlefield must be abandoned. Treasure left on the table at game end is lost. Treasure held by a figure still on the table at game end must be rolled for. On a 1-10 it is lost as the figure battles through the blizzard for shelter. On an 11-20 it is successfully recovered by the figure.

This means 50% of games have ended after turn 5.
75% of games have ended after turn 6.
88% of games have ended after turn 7, and so on.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Tom on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: Variable game length rule proposal

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:51 pm

Yes, though the roll you posted means 55% of games will finish on turn 5 - did you mean continue on a 1-10?
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Tom » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:13 pm

Quiet you! I've no idea what you mean :roll:
Tom

Postby Mike » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:52 pm

Darkson wrote:Yes, though the roll you posted means 55% of games will finish on turn 5 - did you mean continue on a 1-10?

What the? 55%
I make 1-10 50% and 11-20 also 50%
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Yeah, that's what it says now! ;)
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Mike » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:32 pm

Don't re types show in Red then.

I think it should be less likely as time goes on as in 5+, 10+, 15+ Then 20+.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Tom » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:52 pm

Requires more tracking though, this was the simplest implementation. And the odds add up. To reach round 8 you have to pass the dice roll after round 5, 6 and 7. A mere 13% chance. Round 8 has only a 6% of happening, and so on.

So overall you get a nice distribution of game lengths, most end sooner, less and less lasting the longer you go. But in each individual turn the odds are still 50/50 so your fight or flight decision making is still tense.
Tom

Postby Mike » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:12 am

I would think a 3x3 board skirmish game should last about an hour which Dave and I managed.
Still think the longer game favours the experienced gang over the other.

How about the lower gang chooses if to continue then rolls a dice 50/50 continue.
Or adjust the difference in gang levels to the required roll to continue. Level 1 vs 4 then game continues , if 10 or less is another turn, you would need a 7 or less.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Mike » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:13 am

As for percentages I think we have proved we never get the mathematical result. ;)
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Tom » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:22 am

I still think it needs to be a 50/50 shot every turn.

Here's the situation, it's turn X and you are into the point of the game where you need to roll to see if turn X+1 comes up. You have a choice with a soldier, to secure a treasure now, or instead attack the opposition hoping to improve your chances of grabbing more treasures next turn. With 50/50 odds its an interesting tactical decision and a gamble. If it's anything other than a 50/50 shot then you'll play the odds. An interesting decision point has been removed and the game is less for it.

And even if the game does fluke into lots of rounds, the plan is that the threat of the game ending will still get more models off the table sooner and thus speed things up to an end via the normal conditions.
Tom

Next

Return to Frostgrave