Frostgrave rules discussion

Including Ghost Archipelago, Rangers of Shadow Deep and Stargrave

Re: Frostgrave rules discussion

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:10 pm

Gary, for the scroll use the base casting number, not the target for your wizard.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:14 pm

Hesky wrote:I need some clarification on "Beauty"

Nothing in the rulebook seems to clearly define what an "attack" is. There are a number of spells that are effectively harmful without being defined as an attack in the wording.

I think it needs spelling out exactly what this spell affords a defence against.

Joe wrote:Hesky - glad you are having fun! (that's the main thing after all). As for Beauty - A will roll is required to attempt any action which would have an immediate potential negative impact on a target with a Beauty spell. This includes anything that would cause an attack roll against the target, or immediate damage, or any reduction of the Beauty's stats or fighting ability. Thus you cannot Curse the Beauty, nor cast a spell which would potential cause damage with them in radius of effect such as Grenade or Elemental Ball.
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:35 pm

joe5mc wrote:Leap. Leap is a hateful little spell that has caused me all kinds of grief. RAW is that it has to be the full 10'.  However, I don't like that, and don't believe that is what I originally intended. So I will be changing it next time I update the errata. However, you always count the actual distance covered. So if you want to go 8 inches forward and up 4 inches, you'll have to figure out the hypotenuse. Leap NEVER protects you from falling damage. It'll help you get up, but getting down, you are on your own.

Soldiers from Thaw of the Lich Lord are available to starting warbands.

A wizard cannot summon a demon and have that demon activate as part of the wizard phase.

Makes Leap a bit better (not that it was a bad spell to start with!).
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Dave » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:51 pm

Can a wizard cast spells on himself? I know he can with beauty and monsterous form as it specifically says so in the spell's description but what about touch and line of sight spells like heal and fight? He can see himself and, dare I say it, touch himself so why not?

Cheers,
Dave
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave

Postby Tom » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:08 pm

Yup. Unless the spell specified 'other figure' or something then the wizard himself is a valid target.
Tom

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:30 pm

On Leap:
(A reply based on a post from the author)
The model ignores terrain for horizontal and for up but it does not protect you from falling at all. Example: if your figure is in a tower 6" up and you cast leap to move him if he ends his movement more than 3" lower than where he started he takes falling damage as per normal. So if you lept to another building that was 3" high he would be fine but if you leap to the ground he would take 9 pts of falling damage. (a good note a ring of slow fall is great for fixing this)

This hadn't come up in any game I've taken part in (I think) but the movement down bit/falling isn't how I'd have thought it worked.
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Tom » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Wow. That's certainly not something I would have thought of applying. I'd assumed as long as you ended your leap on solid ground you were fine.
Tom

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:40 pm

Might have just been me, but Push is "directly away", so if the spellcaster is at a lower level than the target then the target is pushed into the air, as well as away from the spellcaster!
Does mean though that if the spellcaster is above the target that the target doesn't move, as they're already touching an obstacle (the ground).

Joe has said though that he could understand people just playing it with the horizontal movement.
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:57 pm

joe5mc wrote:The Raise Zombie exit board question. Yes, you can cast it again. Here is the general rule - if the spell is an 'In Game spell' you can cast it again when the target (or result) of that spell leaves the board. So you can raise another zombie, summon another demon, or Mind Control another soldier. The previous one will have stashed the treasure somewhere the warband can grab it on the way out of town!

Different to how we'd played it, and a previous answer in his FAQ thread.
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:51 pm

Darkson (Simon)

PreviousNext

Return to Frostgrave