Frostgrave rules discussion

Including Ghost Archipelago, Rangers of Shadow Deep and Stargrave

Re: Frostgrave rules discussion

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:46 am

MoodyGit wrote:Does that mean I have to give my scroll back? :(

Why? It was done prior to any rule change, so no "time-warping" backwards (you're not a Chronomancer), otherwise we'd have to null all of Dan's games! ;)
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:05 am

Dan, I didn't question it, as I didn't see anything in the rules forbidding it, but I mentioned your wizard's fight +9 in another thread, and Joe (the author) responded with this:

Darkson - just a quick note, a wizard armed with two magic weapons only receives the bonus for the primary one. So while he would get +1 Fight for fighting with two weapons, he would not receive the extra +1 Fight from the Magic dagger. I will add that the the errata.

Joe

So you might want to rethink that dagger purchase.
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Ladril Caledor » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:37 am

Yeah I thought about it but didn't buy the dagger in the end, +9 fight is too much. Bonus for only the primary magic item makes sense. I bought a Kennel and a war hound instead.

I think the change to shopping is a good idea. I'd vote for Tom's suggestion of one roll on each table after each game, and you can choose whether or not to buy what is offered. It's simpler, it's less punishment after a loss, and I feel it fits better with the Frostgrave theme.

I'm putting the lightsaber-toting death train of a Chronomancer on ice until December to let other wizards catch up, but I'd be happy to return the five items I bought for gold and retroactively roll on tables to see what comes up.
Ladril Caledor
Pumpkin Pie

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:29 pm

joe5mc wrote:All correct - with one caveat. The maximum line of sight for anything in the game is 24", this includes casting spells. That said, the spell itself can push the target beyond 24" so long as they were within that when the spell was cast.

This is either a change from the rules, or something he meant but didn't put down clearly!

Link to thread: http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=83732.0
Last edited by Darkson (Simon) on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to thread
Darkson (Simon)

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:24 am

The rule book definitely states on page 75 that line of sight of a spell is within line of sight. What is the context of the quote? Were you discussing a shooting attack such as bone dart, where the term shooting could (and I mean very loosely) be being re interpretated as he did state (on page 38) that max range for bows and crossbows are 24" and they are, along with spells, the only ranged weapons, or another such as leap?
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:26 am

I'm sure I lost some full stops in there somewhere. :!:
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:46 am

He means all line of sight, for anything, so if a spell is a Line of Sight spell (such as my Fleet Feet) it's limited to 24", even if you can see further.

As for context, someone had asked a question about Push and Joe answered with the above (as the second answer to the question). There had been no discussion about it before, he just dropped it out of nowhere.

I think if this isn't a deliberate change, it's another one of those things that "he and the playtesters "knew" were in the rules and didn't actually check"
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:34 pm

Or....

Joe wrote:I really need to be careful what I say! Actually guys, I was in error. I thought the rulebook stated a maximum 24" line of sight, but it does not. Please forgive me. In general, these long line of sights should be rare or not occur at all, but there is nothing in the rules that say they can't.

and
This is a mistake on my part. I thought I had written that into the rules, but I did not. I suspect they might be better for it, but for now, I'm sticking with the book. Line of sight more than 24" should be rare or non-existent on a tabletop, but where it does exist it is fine.

I actually quite like it, but was a bit shocked that (at the time) it seemed we had all read the rules and got them wrong!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Vinnie » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:57 pm

Quick question, If I gave an item to a Soldier (in this case a Thief) for one game, can I then give it to another Soldier (Crossbowman) instead in my next game?

I've had a look at the rules, but it only mentions taking items back when a Soldier dies, but I'd assume after the game it gets put into the Armory for anyone to use.
Vinnie
Pumpkin Soup

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:56 pm

You can.
Darkson (Simon)

PreviousNext

Return to Frostgrave