Frostgrave rules discussion

Including Ghost Archipelago, Rangers of Shadow Deep and Stargrave

Frostgrave rules discussion

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:26 pm

FAQ - at least started by the author: http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=80477.0
Unofficial errata collated from above thread: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2_A_u ... NTalU/view

This s from the author on group activations:

During the wizard phase, you can activate your wizard and up to 3 soldiers who are within 3 inches of him when the phase begins (so where the wizard starts the phase). It does not matter what order these figures activate in. You could activate the three soldiers and then the wizard. So, picking a figure, the player completes both actions for that figure then moves onto the next.

The above is standard activation it is NOT Group Activation. Group Activiation is a special move which allows you to activate the same figures, but instead of activating them one at a time, you make all of their first actions together. This has to be movement. Then each can take a second action, one at a time, in whatever order the palyer chooses.

In point of fact, Group Activiation doesn't do anything that can't be done with normal activiation. It is just in the rules to make it easier for a player to move figures like a little unit if he wants, so that it is easier to keep their relative positiosn organized.

So we played it slightly wrong in that a model activated within 3" of a wizard isn't necessarily classed as a "group activation" and each (up to 3) could activate indepently and choose which order to take their actions (don't have to use move as their first action for example).
Last edited by Darkson (Simon) on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Added FAQ link - might as well have one rules thread. - Darkson
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: Frostgrave queries

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:00 am

As I don't have a copy of the rules yet could someone fill in any gaps I get reading the cards until I source. Thanks.

First up,
Illusionist spell 'Beauty' states that when cast an opponent has to test on Will to hit. That bits easy. Then it states that if it fails they don't lose the action. I'm guessing that it means say I shot at the wizard and I failed the Will test my shot could hit a warrior next to him. What though is stopping me from repeating my action on the wizard over and over until I pass?
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Rules Discussion

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:10 am

Common sense :roll:

I mean they don't explicitly say you can't, but as the spell would be entirely useless otherwise it can be pretty clearly inferred.
Last edited by Darkson (Simon) on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tom

Re: Rules Discussion

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:38 am

@Dave - I don't think you played it wrong, I think that is a major change post rules being printed.
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:04 am

As I'm still waiting for my Lead Adventures account to be activated:

1. Wall spell: Can it be climbed?

2. Models kills it's opponent in combat - can they still Push Back themselves?

3. Model is engaged by multiple opponents. They win the first combat - can they Push Back themselves out of combat? If so, can the other models Force Combat as they leave?

4. Cast Enchant Weapon on a soldiers weapon (of whatever type). After the game cast Embed Enchantment so they now have a magic weapon. That takes up their one slot.
Correct?
If so, do they still have a basic non-magical weapon? If so, do you have to buy it or are they assumed to have found one?
Obviously if you buy and give them a magic weapon they still have their mundane one but...
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:58 am

Re 3: Asked on the Lead Adventure FAQ and we did it right, if pinned by multiple opponents you can push back someone you beat but you yourself are still stuck in place by the others.
Tom

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:03 am

Dave wrote:In point of fact, Group Activiation doesn't do anything that can't be done with normal activiation.

I think he's wrong there, as if you did it with stand activation you'd have to do each model separately, including both actions, so without Group you would have to move the first model (and fight if you wanted), then the 2nd model could move and fight (and get the bonus), then the third etc, whereas with with group they can all move in, then the first to fight gets the multiple bonus to start with.
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:29 am

That group activation stuff really not very clear in the rulebook...

But at least it all makes sense now. Wizard phase = activate wizard and up to 3 nearby figs. This can either be one at a time or as a group activation where they all do their move first. Or presumably a mix of the two.

And yeah, group activation definitely lets you do something you can't activating individually, in that it lets you pile lots of guys into combat so they can all get the outnumbering bonus when they subsequently attack. If you went in one by one the first guy either has to skip his chance to fight or risk a one-on-one fight.
Tom

Postby Tom » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:09 pm

Wall spell creates a perfectly normal climbable/crumblable wall apparently.

He also said that you can't mind control enemy forces off the table unless they are holding treasure, which I mention as Simon was suggesting it as a tactic.
Tom

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:21 pm

Tom wrote:He also said that you can't mind control enemy forces off the table unless they are holding treasure, which I mention as Simon was suggesting it as a tactic.

Yeah, just saw that. Boooo! (Back to the drawing board ;) ).

Tom, still waiting for my account to be activated, so can you ask if it's possible to use Leap/Teleport to put a friendly model (with Treasure) off the board? I think Teleport is a no, but not sure on Leap.
Darkson (Simon)

Next

Return to Frostgrave