Spell Choices

Including Ghost Archipelago, Rangers of Shadow Deep and Stargrave

Spell Choices

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:49 pm

In my first game of 2nd edition I found the spells I’d chosen were pretty bad (not that they were necessarily inherently bad but rather that I just got little to no use out of most of them).

I think you need to have at least one direct damage spell, at least one spell that can be cast on an 8+ (if only to farm experience in the early turns) and I would say the Heal Spell is a must take.

Any tips from the experienced players would be useful, as I’ve said before there’s nothing worse than being a newb and locked into a campaign having made terrible choices.

Cheers.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: Spell Choices

Postby Tom » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:01 pm

I would say you want something useful in a fight that’s pretty easy to cast. Not necessarily offensive, my plan is to turn invisible and run away!

Something that will be always useful to cast even if you can’t see any enemies/treasures so you don’t waste turns.

Something to help you win a race to treasure like a mobility spell or a way of stealing it back.

And possibly try to put your hard to cast school spells as out of battle ones. That way the lower odds of getting them to work don’t matter too much as you’re not having to pick and choose what to cast per turn and you can’t hurt yourself for failing.
Tom

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:21 pm

Interesting. I had fleet feet as I think that spell is great but I struggled to cast it (as it wasn’t from my main school).

I’ve been looking through the spells I chose and I think their casting values were ultimately just too high (12-14). I think a decent utility spell that you will find a use for every turn and can cast on no worse than a 10+ is a must.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:44 pm

On the flip side, Fleet Feet might be hard now, but a couple of levels into it and you're golden, something you won't be able to do if you don't have it (I'd like it, but its opposed for me so Grimoire searching!).

Second a relatively easy 'spam' spell, that you can cast for XP even if you don't think you'll need it.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:38 pm

I try and mix mine up. A move benefit, a move minus for opponent, an attack, buff for soldiers, increase band, etc. I try and aim for 10 for spells I'm hoping to use lots of. (10's own deck, 8's for secondary deck and whatever for rest).
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Return to Frostgrave