Table Size

Including Ghost Archipelago, Rangers of Shadow Deep and Stargrave

Table Size

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:20 am

With enough* terrain do you think Frostgrave can work on a 2’x2’ table?

*by enough I mean loads! So let’s say no LoS beyond 6-8”. Which leads to another question, would that kind of density actually be too much?

Cheers
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: Table Size

Postby Tom » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:06 pm

Where has this thought suddenly come from?! 3x3 is the official suggestion but 2x2 would probably work with maybe a bit of deployment zone tweaking. You'd need that massively dense terrain to stop people being in each other's faces or grabbing treasure and off the board straight away. What you describe sounds good.
Tom

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:27 pm

Just idle internet browsing leading to lots of silly ideas! But I do want to play some Fantasy genre stuff this year and I think Frostgrave is my best bet given that we have a few people who have invested in it (plus the game isn’t terrible).

Also, I want to make a board but 3’x3’ is just too cumbersome for storage (I want to make it a single piece rather than modular) and so was hoping that with the right layout/terrain a 2’x2’ could work, which it sounds like it can work if done right.

Cheers.
Dave

Postby Brad85 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:56 pm

At the risk of a thread derail...
I'm eyeing up some Frostgrave bits in place of Mantic models. What does the buy in entail for Frostgrave? As I might look at setting myself up for that too..
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby Tom » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:09 pm

One book and some D20s. Your warband is around a dozen generic fantasy figures.

But now is not the best time to buy in as a second ed. is coming out some time this year.
Tom

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:04 pm

@Dave - 2x2 might be too cramped, and as Tom said, makes it to easy to get in combat fast. But it's worth giving it a try (before committing to building ;) ).

@Brad - what Tom said (again), though 2nd ed isn't going to be that different from the current one, it's mainly going to be tweaking of spells. Sent you a PM.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:38 am

@Dave - as for what constitutes "to much" terrain/cover, I'd say for Frostgrave when it gets to the point you can't place your models anywhere! More cover is better as it prevents shooting (normal or magic) becoming to dominate.
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:42 pm

Having asked some questions, it seems it might work, but lots of terrain (fixed and scatter), possibly with different deployment rules.

Some suggestions for deployment:
1. 2"or 3" rather than 6"
2. Play corner-to-corner (i.e. play on a diamond area)
3. Models set up on the board edge and count as having made their 1st (complusory) move action already.

Happy to give any or all of them a go using what we have if you want to try it before building.
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Dave » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:28 pm

Thanks for the input so far. I could maybe stretch to a 2.5’x2.5’. The plan is to have lots of streets, ruined buildings and multiple levels. I’ve ordered some bits and bobs, once in hand I should be able to get a better idea of what I’m aiming for.

Cheers
Dave

Return to Frostgrave