The Stench of unclear rules

The Stench of unclear rules

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:56 pm

I think the DBX and basic BD manuals actually list the rule differently which didn't help matters. The stacking to a -2 penalty is only in the DBX manual, the basic DB one simply puts stench as extending your normal threat to 360 degrees.

As for the slam question:

I've asked on the FAQ thread on Jake's blog but don't hold your breath for any resolution there.

Google turns up all of one forum post by some guy who says it should apply, but giving no backup source or reasoning.

I've come around to the idea that it should apply, not because of the rule wording which I still reckon says no (a modifier relating to a threat zone from the target does not exist to be enacted upon by the stench rules) but because I can't see any reason for that part of the stench rules t exist at all unless that's what they meant it to do.

Wording in question, Stench:

'In addition, the player’s Threat Hexes always modify a test (up to the maximum for that test) if the modifier is listed at all.'

Slam

'-1 per opposing player threatening the hex you are in (ignoring your target, maximum of -2).'
Tom
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: The Stench of unclear rules

Postby Tom » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:20 am

Scratch all that. Threatening uses the same wording and gives a clear example.

Threatening:

The player’s Threat Hexes always modify a test (up to the maximum for that test) if the modifier is listed at all.

For example, if a Threatening player Slams an opponent then that target player will take a -1 penalty for being in the Slamming player’s Threat Hex.

Would have been nice if they'd included the example in Stench as well but there we go.

Case closed. Apologies to Mike for telling him Threatening wasn't relevant when it clearly was. :oops: I'll bring you an apology doughnut next week.
Tom

Postby Ray » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:32 am

I've been reading up on it as well. Xtreme version is different to regular dreadball version. It seems that it applies a -1 modifier even when the player with stench is the target (although they could have been way clearer about this in the wording), and the -2 penalty is Xtreme only. It creates extra threat hexes but leaves your normal front and back arc as they are, so you can still only dodge if hit in the back. Also note that a knocked down played does not create threat hexes, so knocking the player down will turn off the stench ability. All this should probably be added to the faq, which currently doesn't even contain the word stench (which explains why I failed to find it in there earlier).
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Mike » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:52 am

My apologies to you both. One should not have thrown toys out of pram.
I believe I owe you both a large cookie.

it would have been better if they said that due to Stench threat hex
- slammer gets -1
- -1 to slammed players dodge/slam back attempt
- -1 to stealing etc.

And completely left the bracketed up to max bit as that has confused many players.
Basically if it says get a -1 for a threat hex in any test description then stench imparts it regardless of any other rule
Thank god the hulk does not stink as that would be 5 or if moved 6 dice slam with -1 to opponents slam back/dodge.

Quickworthy does mention extreme rules are different.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:44 am

Yeah, don't use DBO rules as back-up in DBX rules discussions, and visa-versa - they're similar games but not the same (I think the Convicts have different armour values for example).
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Return to Dreadball