All change

The game we won't play if Ryan's about!

All change

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:50 pm

I know its just for me but if any lurkers are interested,

The new 2.5 (really 3.0 without a new starter set) has arrived and all details are on the Atomic Mass site for free.
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Re: All change

Postby ErebusMort » Sun May 15, 2022 4:55 pm

I’ve got a couple of KR boxes full of x-wing ships from the first edition of the the game and I didn’t upgrade when second edition came along…… despite having bought multiple new editions of 40k rules and codexes just so I could use my existing figures, for some reason I baulked at buying the conversion kits.

I do periodically wonder if it’s worth upgrading even one of my factions (I bought lots of each faction…..), but it’s always felt like it’s a bit of a mess.

So is it worth upgrading? Would I need a new starter set or are the rules now all available online and so it would just be the conversion kit to get? Seems a shame to have all of these ships not useable if I don’t want to stick to 1st edition.
ErebusMort
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Sun May 15, 2022 5:55 pm

I only ever owned the first addition core set myself (2 and a half copies for some reason) and have got on fine.
All of the current rules, they're being called 2.5, are available free on line and the key parts you need haven't changed such as range rulers and dice.
Where you need to update is the dials and ship/pilot cards. If you have the majority of a faction the pack is unfortunately a must, I chose the other route as I thought it would be cheaper to start a new faction and ended spending more anyway.
I have plenty of tokens and some generic card doubles if you want them in the future.
What factions are you sitting on?
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby ErebusMort » Sun May 15, 2022 6:57 pm

I suspected that might be the case….

I’ve got rebels, galactic empire and scum & villainy. I’ve only got the starter set for the “newer” two factions, so can discount those really.

The scum & villainy conversion kit is the cheapest from what I can see so it feels like an option to get that to play at least if the rules are online and all the gubbins from the initial sets still work. However, I have considerably more ships of the other two factions, so perhaps getting one of those would be a better idea for replayability.
ErebusMort
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Sun May 15, 2022 8:19 pm

It doesn't affect our club game play as we are open to all but if you play elsewhere you will have to be aware that some ships currently cannot be used.

The company (AMG) decision is that they will not penalise people who cannot get hold of old grey packaging models. Personally I'm happy to play against them in a relaxed game. Download the current points (may be changing end of May as new wave drops) and see what is what. You may end up with a different idea after that.
Hint: Rebels and Republic super powerful at the mo so should be nerfed, Empire sitting in third. Scum have suffered with most of their models being older packaging.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby ErebusMort » Tue May 17, 2022 10:30 am

Having done some research and reading on the internet….. it seems to be a bit of a mess.

Splits on which game version is best, annoyance at AMG and FFG, who knows what’s going on with the sale of the company to private investors, etc.

Seems a real shame as the game itself was good fun but seems to be a bit mid managed at the moment. I think I’ll hang off for now as the conversion kits are still £30-£50 and feels like a lot to drop for a game in so much flux.
ErebusMort
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Tue May 17, 2022 1:18 pm

Makes sense, I thought it had calmed a bit but I'm currently swimming with the tide. Don't blame you for being cautious.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Return to X-Wing