Changes on the horizon

The game we won't play if Ryan's about!

Changes on the horizon

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:00 pm

Looks like some big rule changes at the end of the month for my little niche game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxwAfvIPWEw&t=57s
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Re: Changes on the horizon

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:20 pm

Limited number of turns rather than on the clock? Interesting. Suppose this will prevent slow play in a tournament, not that I've noticed too much of that on the streams I've watched in the past.

Sign me up for the Razer Crest though. Just because it looks good and I like the series. Might even fit well with my current Scum and Villainy tendencies. Even the 'Remotes' of Mandalorian Squads look quite cool. Not sure if they'll actually be here by the end of Feb as stated though.

I assume that the S&V characters that will now be available for other factions (Rebel Alliance) will only be available as separate purchases - i.e. you have to buy 2 ships, each one faction 'branded' rather than buy one ship with all the different faction cards included.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:26 pm

DaVinci's Cat wrote:Limited number of turns rather than on the clock? Interesting. Suppose this will prevent slow play in a tournament, not that I've noticed too much of that on the streams I've watched in the past.

Way many people jumped in with both feet on this one and landed poorly.
What they mean is, in the rulebook a standard pick up game is to the death and can take forever as we have shown before. Now these will be limited rounds so new people can see an ending. Tournaments and the like remain the same as they over ride this rule anyway.
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:41 pm

I watched the Gold Squadron Podcast this afternoon and they pretty much said the same things regarding timings, which makes sense.

I quite like the change to bids and have to say, I wouldn't be bother if the initiative was on a dice roll each turn - not really any different to Malifaux and it really makes you think about planning ahead in case you don't get the initiative. Don't have much time for people who come in with a huge bid to get the initiative because the only way they can win is if they can go last.

The discussion around banned lists and restrictions was interesting. Not sure on the banned lists, although I understand the logic. I think restrictions on the numbers of X that you can take is probably a better solution, it's something we've all experienced in other games. Maybe in tandem with being able to take a pool of 125pts (random number pulled out of thin air) from which you select your 100pt list from for that game. Again, not much different from some Mailfaux Tournaments where it's just fixed faction.

Not that any of it is really going to effect me much as I'm hardly a big (or even small) tournament player. :?
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Return to X-Wing