Horizon Zero Dawn questions, and hopefully answers!

Forum for one-off games, new games and games that have currently fallen out of favour, but are still played irregularly

Horizon Zero Dawn questions, and hopefully answers!

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:25 pm

1. The Rattler (extra) weapons. In the base game there is no specific ammo, but they have a special rule that allows you to use the top card of your deck (blind) as ammo (in the video game it has no ammo but uses your resources and money as ammo).
There is an expansion character that does have ammo, but not from merchant.

2. Carja "follow up" - as it says you "move" into the square with the enemy, its not a "sneak" or "sprint" , so won't wake up adjacent enemies.

3. "Follow up" and "Silent Strike" - the consensus is that yes, its badly worded :lol: and no, it doesn't work (unless the enemy is in the tall grass), because it says move then attack, so at the start of the attack you weren't in grass.
It does work if you do a normally melee attack and start in grass but 'pop out' with the free move.

4. "Free actions" - these still count for the 'one per turn' unless it specifically says otherwise.
So you couldn't (using Carja as I have the cards in front of me) do a normal melee (and influct a condition) then use Follow Up as you've used you melee action.
You could get a 2nd melee from her level 3 Elemental Mastery trait for example.

I thought there was at least one more question we asked, but I can't recall what it was (make notes next time!).
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: Horizon Zero Dawn questions, and hopefully answers!

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:53 pm

5. Glory and Leader: Might have made a difference, and we played it right the first game ( :oops: ) . You total up the glory for that encounter, give out sun and leader/fledgling tokens then discard glory. :oops:
And on ties, the token passes, not stays (not sure that cane upthough).
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:55 pm

; :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I missed a minor(!) rule that slightly changes the game.*

Each hunters turn consists of a hunters phase, a enemy phase and a maintenance phase.

Oops! :oops: :oops: :oops:

* Yes, alright, its a bloody big mistake! Serves me right for playing it solo and not re-reading for multi-player.
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Tom » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:33 am

Were they just standing there and letting you hit them?
Tom

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:30 am

We were playing that all the hunters went, then the enemy got a turn.
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:07 am

I found some cheat sheets on BBG, which I will print off, as they're easier, but a couple of ones that came up in the merchant phase (as Gary couldn't get anything).

2 metal can be used as any resource.
Any resource can be used as 1 metal.

I got AOE (very) wrong, it's definitely not as good as we thought, so I'm moving myself down to the last winning spot. The target gets hit with the first dice shown; everything else, but not the target(!), gets hit by the AOE only, and not the original dice. So my basic bomb should have done 1 orange to the target, and 2 orange to anything in the AOE. :oops:
Still appears you can target components with the AOE though, which seems strange, but Traps specifically say you can't, whereas AOE doesn't mention it.

Asked for clarification on stamina cards (though I think we finally got that right) and the canister symbols on the non-base hunter cards.
Darkson (Simon)

Return to Other games