Bushido - New Dawn

Forum for one-off games, new games and games that have currently fallen out of favour, but are still played irregularly

Re: Bushido - New Dawn

Postby Tom » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:57 am

What's the feedback then?
Tom
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Ray » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Really like it, will definitely be playing. Combat system is very similar to world of twilight, where you split your dice pool into attack and defence. Alternate activation but of short actions, so each model activates twice a turn most of the time. Special rules, but no where near Malifaux levels of things to remember. Small table size and really low model count make the game feel like it gets going a lot quicker than many games.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:02 pm

I’d play it again but it doesn’t really offer me anything that I don’t already get from Malifaux.

It would be unfair to judge it too harshly after one game but it seemed to play slow for such a small game (ok it was a demo game but I think I picked it up pretty quickly).

Also the the special rules could be doing with being on the cards.

As I said I’d try it again but it’s unlikely I’d buy any models for it.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Ray wrote:Really like it, will definitely be playing. Combat system is very similar to world of twilight, where you split your dice pool into attack and defence. Alternate activation but of short actions, so each model activates twice a turn most of the time. Special rules, but no where near Malifaux levels of things to remember. Small table size and really low model count make the game feel like it gets going a lot quicker than many games.

Excellent! Any idea which warband or Clan takes your fancy at the moment? Whilst I like the depth and complexity of Malifaux, I do feel with the current release rates, the game does suffer from creep more than it did and it's very easy to get left behind.

Dave wrote:I’d play it again but it doesn’t really offer me anything that I don’t already get from Malifaux.

I totally get this point, it's almost a Mailfaux-lite, especially from a Malifaux 2.0 perspective. I'm currently stuck in limbo with v1.5 Masters that need considerably more stuff to make them work in the current environment so am sort of stuck at an impasse and have to jump one way or the other.

Dave wrote:...it seemed to play slow for such a small game (ok it was a demo game but I think I picked it up pretty quickly).

I agree with the sentiment and it would be interesting to see how it plays with more experience, different scenarios, a higher points game and some of the upgrade cards. It think that there is a little more subtlety with Bushido, especially when you've built a crew around your play-style, but that will only be borne out with experience.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby Ray » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:38 am

With Malifaux I always felt like I didn't stand a chance at knowing what I was up against. I could read all my opponents cards before the game but there is just too much going on for me to keep a handle on, especially in a game I don't play every week, and only get to play after I've already worked a full day. Bushido did not feel like it would be like that at all. There are special rules but they mostly seemed to come down to making things better in combat/shooting/defence/whatever rather than almost every model having unique special rules you need to remember to take into account the whole time.

I'm liking the look of Temple, but more the humans and kami rather than the animals I used in the demo game. Might well pick up some bits if I put an order in next month.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:18 pm

The yearly errata can be located here; https://gctstudios.com/sites/default/files/Errata_Jul_2018.pdf as a stand-alone document or incorporated into the full rules here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/9a4qvtcmhj6rudh/NewDawnRules%2BErrata-Jul2018.pdf?dl=0

As Ben mentioned when he came up and did the demo, they are looking at a V2 edition in the not too distant future, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some off these in additions in the rewrite.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Previous

Return to Other games