Bushido - New Dawn

Forum for one-off games, new games and games that have currently fallen out of favour, but are still played irregularly

Bushido - New Dawn

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 pm

I was wondering if there was anyone who fancied trialling Bushido at some point over the next month or so. I know that Ollie had an interest a while ago (before my time!), but was curious to see if there was any other potential interest.

I was thinking of proxying models etc before contemplating committing, even to the extent of just using bases/tokens to represent characters - GCT Studios have made all the rules available to download for free on their website and all of the models stats card are available as well. I was interested to see how the game plays and whether or not it would be quicker but still as interesting as Malifaux. It seems to have the bonus of even fewer figures (! - well certainly from a Ressers point of view) and a smaller board but with scenario driven objectives.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Re: Bushido - New Dawn

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:50 pm

What factions have you got?
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:50 pm

I've started with the Ito Clan and have gone for more of the Hebi theme rather than the Samurai - loads of the snake type creatures. I've got figures and also the 'upgrade/expansion' cards.

When I get close to finishing the painting on the figures I've got, I'll get the Silvermoon Syndicate. I've already got the expansion cards (helped decide which figures to go for) and have sort of planned what I want to get.

The good thing about the factions, is they can be played in a variety of ways, so even if you end up playing against someone with the same faction, it's likely to be very different. I think the only exception to this might be the KKZ as they tend to be quite expensive (points-wise) and in a 50 Rice game, you're only looking at 5 models! The Minimoto Clan is due to be released later this year - less magic and more tanky-ness from the demo I had (always good to play against one of the official play-testers...).

Anything particularly taken your fancy?

If you want me to bring any of it along on a Tues, just say.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:52 pm

In no particular order I like:

The Ito Clan
Silvermoon Syndicate
Tengu

I’m going to hold off for now, if you’re able to put a demo game together in the coming months then count me in.

What are the dice and cards all about?

Cheers,
Dave
Dave

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:47 pm

You need 2 sets of different coloured dice (5 of each colour should be enough); 1 colour for attack, 1 colour for defence. From your characters dice pool, you select (in secret) how many attack and defence dice you are going to roll in that particular combat, so you only know what your opponent has done when you've both actually rolled. So plenty of scope for bluff and double bluff. Or getting completely caned when you guessed wrong!

The cards are similar to Malifaux except they are split into themes, terrain, events and enhancements. Enhancements are more akin to Malifaux, some are limited to type of character, others are limited to factions, and some are generic. Events are a one time use that can really sway the game if used well. For example, the Silvermoon Syndicate have access to event cards that allows you to dictate which of your opponents models (up to 3) activates next (very powerful), or ones that allow you to take limited control of one of the opponents models (excellent for scoring purposes at the end of a turn!). Terrain cards are limited but clearly useful in the right situation. Themes tend to limit the type of character in your warband, but provide them extra bonuses.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby Ray » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:37 pm

I'm with Dave on this. Trial game and see how it plays before I decide if I want to invest.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:45 pm

DaVinci's Cat wrote:I've started with the Ito Clan...

When I get close to finishing the painting on the figures I've got, I'll get the Silvermoon Syndicate.

I couldn't wait :roll: Just put an order in for a few figures...

Dave wrote:I’m going to hold off for now, if you’re able to put a demo game together in the coming months then count me in.

Cheers,
Dave

Ray wrote:I'm with Dave on this. Trial game and see how it plays before I decide if I want to invest.

Although with my above impatience and rashness, I'd have enough figures to give a demo, I'm not totally convinced I'd be the best person to give it. If you let me now some suitable dates when you're interested (possibly post the next Necromunda Campaign?), I'll see how much convincing one of the GCT Retainers needs to pop up and demo it, probably not too much!
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Wed May 30, 2018 8:40 pm

For those of you interested and those who have expressed an interest in the past, there is a strong possibility that one of the Bushido Retainers (Malifaux Henchmen equivalents) will be able to run a demo(s) on Tues 12th. He's willing to travel up from Portsmouth to give it, so before he commits, I'd like to confirm if there is any interest and how firm that interest is.

So, any takers/confirmed attendance?
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby Ray » Wed May 30, 2018 11:12 pm

I will be about
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Dave » Thu May 31, 2018 6:21 pm

I am working away from the office on this day so might be a bit late but otherwise I am in and up for it.

Cheers,
Dave
Dave

Next

Return to Other games