Scrappers

For any 'post-apocalypse' games we play, such as Scrappers, Gaslands, Mercs, Dark Future or others

Re: Scrappers

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:42 pm

I think mutants run 10"? so your multi limbed mutant horde is double buffed and need not fear the walk away and shoot tactic!

I enjoyed the game we played (for the most part) and I think it has potential as a campaign game but yes the book is a nightmare to get to grips with.

I haven't looked too closely at the traits so not sure of any killer combos yet.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:01 pm

I think I'm intrigued enough to buy the book, though it will probably wait till next month.
Anyone interested in "sharing" a pdf (and the cost)? I'd buy it for myself, but don't have a gadget to read it on that I could bring to club.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Tom » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Don't trust the excel sheet on the FB community for doing costs. I input two guys exactly the same one after each other and they came up with different points values. Checked them manually and neither was correct.
Tom

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Tom wrote:Don't trust the excel sheet on the FB community for doing costs. I input two guys exactly the same one after each other and they came up with different points values. Checked them manually and neither was correct.

Is this to promote or dissuade power gamers :twisted:
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Ronq » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:21 am

Tom wrote:Don't trust the excel sheet on the FB community for doing costs. I input two guys exactly the same one after each other and they came up with different points values. Checked them manually and neither was correct.

Shh, didn't tell Dave! I did seem to have a lot more stuff on my guys then Dave did, thought it was a little odd
Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.
Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Ronq
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby Tom » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:41 am

Reposting a bit I put up on the FB page which ended up running a bit long and is probably worth putting here. I'd said that I wasn't keen on how the looting had no bearing on the victory conditions and the game maker had said he didn't see why.

re: the victory condition disconnect: First let me say this a personal opinion, not an objective criticism, there's nothing inherently wrong with the system as stands. I don't like it in a campaign game where the method of advancing your team and the method of winning the game are at odds with each other as they are here. Every action spent getting scrap is an action not spent attacking the enemy and vice-versa. To my mind the drive to win the game at hand should always be to the fore, but in these situations people sacrifice attempting to win in order to maximise their advancement because that's the bit of the campaign that drives them. If player A is trying to win but player B is trying to get scrap then player As game enjoyment is lowered because his opponent is not playing to his full capacity and player Bs game enjoyment is lowered because player A keeps getting in the way of his reward. Even if player B fights back and succeeds, the game just ends quicker before he can get his loot he so desperately wanted. An extreme case is when both players want max scrap and realise the best way to achieve this is to ignore each other and loot their half of the battlefield for the first few turns before running away, which is exciting for nobody. It's the old problem of the Blood Bowl team that doesn't care about winning the match and just wants to kill as many of the other guys as possible. Making scrap token recovery part of the scoring means you have a reason within the bounds of individual game victory to split your attention between killing and looting. Gamist over simulationist I suppose.

I know how we love house ruling systems we've barely started, but to my mind an easy 'fix' is to say you get 1vp for having most scrap tokens at game end and 1vp for not running away at game end. So you might get a 1-1 draw where you got the most scrap but ran away, or a 2-0 overwhelming victory, or even a 1-0 where you both ran away on the same turn but one person got more scrap.

Not changing any gameplay rules at all, just how you define the winner.
Tom

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:58 am

I'd have said it was more an issue that Frostgrave has than BB, but that's splitting hairs. ;)
I can see the issue mention, but would want to play the game a couple of times, with the post-game sequence, to see if it is a big issue, though your solution seems ok if it is a problem.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Tom » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:44 pm

Anyone order a four armed super-mutant boss?

Blu-tack heavy currently but I've ordered some green stuff for my first foray into messing up sculpting. Leaving off his back armour leaves a really nice socket for the extra arms to go into which was a very happy unexpected discovery. Hopefully extra armour plates will cover a multitude of sins in the final product.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:13 am

Awesome. What is it?!*

*by that I mean what model have you used.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave

Postby Tom » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:17 am

Age of Sigmar Orruk Brute
Tom

PreviousNext

Return to Post-Apocalypse games