Malifaux scenery

What we play our games on

Re: Malifaux scenery

Postby Russ » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:12 am

We could have a casting and assembly weekend with our Hirst Arts moulds, and make one dedicated board.

Cobbled streets, paved pavements, sewer run off with bridge, different size and shape buildings.

I have loads of dental stone from Dave, and plenty of enthusiasm, but need a good excuse to Tell the wife so I can commit some time.
Russ
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby Mike » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:25 pm

Boards will be club funds
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:12 pm

Russ wrote:We could have a casting and assembly weekend with our Hirst Arts moulds, and make one dedicated board.

Cobbled streets, paved pavements, sewer run off with bridge, different size and shape buildings.

Sounds cool (and stealable for Mordheim ;) ), just remember storage and/or transportation.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Russ » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:58 pm

Is there space to store at the club? If we could design it as four 18" squares it could be easier to transport.
Russ
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby Ray » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:39 am

The issue with 18" squares is that you would still need two tables to get a board for a single game, and we seem to consistently use all the tables now so cutting down on that would be helpful. We would still need some solid 3x3 bases to prevent that problem.

I almost certainly wouldn't be able to help out if building things on a weekend, but if I'm provided with moulds and resin/plaster/whatever, I can cast up a ton of blocks. Working from home makes that sort of task really easy since you only need a few minutes occasionally with massive gaps.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:11 am

Russ wrote:Is there space to store at the club? If we could design it as four 18" squares it could be easier to transport.

Flat boards, yes, easy to store. 3D boards not so much. Gary's board can because he designed it to close properly but if you look at the six 2x2 boards (and racking) that a former member made you'll see the type of damage that can occur.

Also bear in mind they could (could, not saying they will) ask us to remove the stuff from the cupboard at any time (it's only been in the last year or so we've been allowed to store stuff in there).
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Russ » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:49 pm

OK - so I feel read into the limitations now.

I feel that we can still make SOMETHING nice... with the risk that it might ultimately have to be stored in my garage and that I have to be able to manhandle it up the stairs into the (limited space in the) storeroom.

Still - I'm really up for doing something for the club.
Russ
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby Dave » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:18 pm

A nice 3x3 cobblestone board would look very cool, however you need 1,296 bricks to make it!

The mold makes about 10-12 I think, fortunately that dental stuff dries mega quick and you should be able to do a mold every 5-8 minutes.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave

Postby Ray » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:55 pm

The best way to achieve a volume like that is to cast enough for maybe a 6 inch square then make a mould from that and cast 6 inch squares at once. If I remember rightly the hirst arts site has instructions telling you to do just that for large projects (or at least it used to). It should be extra easy to achieve now that Matt works in a sculpting/casting supplies shop.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Russ » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:25 pm

Wait... Matt works in a casting supply shop?!?

So if we pre cast a section, we can recast a bigger section, then recast a bigger section, then TAKE IVER THE WORLD!
Russ
Gone But Not Forgotten

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery and terrain