Ben paints some stuff sometimes

Our little corner of pride

Re: Ben paints some stuff sometimes

Postby bennyowens » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:03 pm

Dave wrote:Looks good, you’re nailing the contrast paints technique.

Thanks! I've started using the contrast paints more like a wash than using it straight over primer and am getting some good effects.
For example Basilicanum Grey contrast paint over a bright silver is fantastic for metalwork, like the gun here. I think it gives a much better finish than nuln oil or equivalent dark washes.
bennyowens
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:32 pm

I’ll have to try that metal tip, cheers.

On the blue, are you using a light blue normal paint base then a dark blue contrast “wash”? Are you using the contrast medium to thin the contrast paint at all?
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby bennyowens » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:05 pm

That blue isnt contrast paint at all. Used a really light blue, then drakenhof nightshade wash, then highlighted it with the original blue which looked awful, so I dumped another wash over it!

The contrast paints are so weird because they're all different consistencies. I love aethermatic blue but it's really thin and needs a couple of coats for a strong colour, whereas wyldwood is a great utility colour but needs thinning a bit. I havent tried the specific contrast medium yet, might buy some and give it a try though
bennyowens
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby bennyowens » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:48 pm

Everything I painted in 2021, productive year overall. Currently 7 models deep into 2022, so let's see if I can top it!

bennyowens
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:39 pm

That is definitely more than me and simon. Looking good.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:28 pm

bennyowens wrote:Currently 7 models deep into 2022,

That's more than me in 2010-2021 (maybe).

I'm in the wrong hobby and/or wrong job. Painting for me is a punishment, hell even prepping models is something I dislike. Ideally I'd be in a job where I have ÂŁ1000s in spare money each month so I could pay someone to paint for me. (If I one the BIG lottery I was going to employ Gary full-time, but I'm not his eyesight is up to it anymore. ;) )
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby bennyowens » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:48 pm

Darkson wrote:
bennyowens wrote:Currently 7 models deep into 2022,

That's more than me in 2010-2021 (maybe).

I'm in the wrong hobby and/or wrong job. Painting for me is a punishment, hell even prepping models is something I dislike. Ideally I'd be in a job where I have ÂŁ1000s in spare money each month so I could pay someone to paint for me. (If I one the BIG lottery I was going to employ Gary full-time, but I'm not his eyesight is up to it anymore. ;) )

I used to hate it because they never came out how I imagined them in my head. I've made peace with that now, and enjoy getting something done that will look decent on the tabletop even if it doesn't hold up to close scrutiny!
I do still have the odd temper tantrum where I want to throw whatever I'm working on straight out the window though (looking at you 2nd ed Carnifex)
bennyowens
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:39 pm

Good work (quality and quantity). Nice mix of stuff there too!

Good attitude towards painting too, I’ve tried to move towards that approach as well.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave

Postby bennyowens » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:16 pm

First official models for my GSC army done, these are so much fun to paint, need to hold myself back from spending too long painting grunts that will get shot straight off the table!

bennyowens
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:23 pm

looking very good.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

PreviousNext

Return to Painting and Modelling