Project Ryan

Our little corner of pride

Project Ryan

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:31 pm

Just before Christmas Ryan, out of the blue, asked for me to get him the 40K 9th Rules set as he'd really got into the background again and wanted to re-try the hobby. After a futile attempt to get him onto a game I already had, I agreed to his request to have some bonding hobby time in which I advise on model construction and painting.

With a faction chosen (Tzeentch marines) and more spendable pounds than I've seen since I was in my teens he has bought a starter set and has plans.

I, with a clever ploy of letting others look after my money through the bills system, have decided to paint Reece's old Ork starter set so he has an opponent to start learning the rules on. This will obviously not be in any way a competitive army as I will never be able to afford the 9 Mek guns and the new Ghazkhull model but it appears when I painted my old Ghaz model 10 years ago I knew then that Deathskulz would be the faction of choice in 9th!

I have suggested we try the crusade thing in the rulebook so we are looking towards about 500 points painted, the only thing stopping Ryan is some paint availability so I have a bit of a head start.

Unit 1 - I choose these first as they looked fun. The 'red' one, obviously does not belong to the Evil Sunz. It's always been ours, I've no idea what you're saying. Do you know how hard it is to get red paint off?
Ryan Ork 3.jpg

Ryan Ork 2.jpg

Ryan Ork 1.jpg

Next up a unit of boyz.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Re: Project Ryan

Postby Mike » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:08 pm

looking good.

I have 5 loota/burner models you can have. The orc kill team sprues.

Tell us what base sizes you need and will dig them out.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:12 am

Mike wrote:looking good.

I have 5 loota/burner models you can have. The orc kill team sprues.

Tell us what base sizes you need and will dig them out.

The ones I have are on the std 25mm circle. Hoping they still are, as one of the reasons I chose these over my chaos was not wanting to re base everything.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:39 am

Sorry, but Orks go on 32mm now. Not that the rules actually state this of course, and as far as I'm aware the only guidance is still to use whatever base the model came with.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Brad85 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:54 am

I think a lot of stuff ended up on 32mm so they didn't look as silly hanging over the edges.
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:27 am

Ray wrote:Sorry, but Orks go on 32mm now. Not that the rules actually state this of course, and as far as I'm aware the only guidance is still to use whatever base the model came with.

Well thats damn unsociable. Good thing its just us two playing then.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Tom » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:02 pm

You can get rings to extend bases pretty cheap on EBay, but in reality I'm sure it makes little to no difference. Just don't go entering any big prize tournaments with them and you'll be fine!
Tom
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:59 pm

You’ll be fine with 25mm, the game is far from balanced* so a few millimetres in base size won’t change the price of fish.

*that’s not a dig, I’ve been enjoying the small games of 9th we’ve had so far.

EDIT: nice Ork kopters!
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Brad85 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:19 pm

Dave wrote:You’ll be fine with 25mm, the game is far from balanced* so a few millimetres in base size won’t change the price of fish.

*that’s not a dig, I’ve been enjoying the small games of 9th we’ve had so far.

The balance is off though, i shouldn't be able to carve a rhino up like a block of butter with 3 space marines...

Dave wrote:EDIT: nice Ork kopters!

Nice to see some blue Ork bits
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:20 am

I never thought it would happen but I have played a game of 40K!

Our first foray is a small 500 point head to head to get used to the rules. Nothing extra such as objectives or secondaries. As I have no access to lists I got Ryan to write them both, may have been a mistake. Board a little smaller than the new 'take the old game size and add or take off a random 2 inch' size. Idea is Ryan's marines have boarded an Ork space hulk, so old hut is boarding pod, the necro buildings are pillars and bulkheads are corridors.
40k 1a.jpg

Ryan disperses from the pod
40k 1c.jpg

Due to small board and space used up by pod I'm very close to the edge.
40k 1b.jpg

First blood, a very long random shot from an anonymous ork boy.
40k 1d.jpg

Ryan's first psychic test.
40k 1e.jpg

The boys finally reach the chaos lines and massacre the beastmen.
40k 1f.jpg

Then they try the same against power armour and fail miserably.
40k 1g.jpg

A win to Ryan.

Post game showed we missed lots even though at least half of the game was spent with our heads in the rulebook. It most of went well though as Ryan has asked for another game!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Next

Return to Painting and Modelling