Back Through The Breach... ...A Return to Malifaux

Our little corner of pride

Re: Back Through The Breach... ...A Return to Malifaux

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:22 pm

Thought I'd go for a monthly update... 45 stones worth painted in May (and maybe the 1st week in June as well :? ) so quite happy.

20200607_193659.jpg

First up was the an addition to the Misery Crew in the form of the Doppelganger. I went a little old school on this one, a nice sculpt and enjoyable to paint. Front and back...

20200607_193915.jpg

20200607_193922.jpg

Next up, a couple of core models from Kirai's Crew, Ikiryo and Datsue Ba. Although happy with the final result, Ikiryo was not fun. I have't liked or enjoyed either of the M1E or M2E sculpts, but this should suffice to the end of the year when Kirai gets released as part of The Other Side starter set, and the Ikiryo looks much, much better in that set.

20200607_193743.jpg

20200607_193803.jpg

And finally, Jaakuna Ubume and a couple of the Drowned. These were good fun to paint, I enjoyed the blending on the Drowned, Jaakuna was went together well, although I should have considered assembly vs painting for this one as getting into the knooks and crannies of this fully assembled was an unnecessarily interesting exercise ;).

20200607_193832.jpg

20200607_193857.jpg

Lost Love (Francis), Shikome and Goryo are next on the hit list...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:07 pm

Hopefully not on a shelf in your bedroom, as you wont be sleeping well.
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby JAC » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:49 pm

They look amazing!
Wolves, what wolves...
#itsoktonotbeok #lifttheweight
JAC
Pumpkinhead

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:34 pm

It's been a while, but as gaming has gotten going again and a decent core of us are getting back into Malifaux, it's prompted a little bit of painting...

First up, a couple of Lyssa as an addition to Pandora's crew. As always, a front and rear shot. These didn't turn out too bad although it was an interesting exercise attempting to paint red ghosts/red vapour!

Lyssa Fr.jpg

Lyssa Rr.jpg

After far too long, I've finally managed to paint Kirai. She turned out better than I expected so reasonably happy although would have liked the transitions a little smoother. Due to some slack photographing, the pictures look a little dark and grainy but she is actually relatively vibrant.

Kirai Side.jpg

Kirai Fr.jpg

Finally, the Goryo. Right at the beginning of the thread, I chuntered about what an absolute pain these were to build (Yan-Lo's beard has nothing on these things :o ), they were also a right royal pain in the a@$e to paint. Especially around the swirling spirits. I couldn't even paint them separately as the joins were pretty pants and needed significant whittling and filling. To para-phrase the club motto, I've built and painted these so you don't have to. You want to play Ressers, go ahead, they're a great faction. You want to play Kirai, just consider your sanity.

What I have learnt though, is if you need to strip acrylic paint off of plastic models, use IPA. It works wonders, and doesn't damage the plastic. And that's Isopropyl Alcohol, not Indian Pale Ale. The latter is drinkable and very pleasant, the other one with alcohol in the name is a cleaner, and definitely not drinkable, so don't do it.

Goryo Fr.jpg

Goryo Rr.jpg

These were quite good in the initial run out against Brad's Ten Thunders, although had to keep reminding myself that despite their size, they're only height 2!

I have also being busy with some scenery that has already made it to the tables and in some of the weekly updates on facebook, but when I've finished the next batch of painting, I'll post those up as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby Brad85 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:50 pm

Mate, those are amazing!
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:22 pm

Excellent, Kirai looks especially great.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Tom » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:16 pm

Stunning as always.
Tom
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:20 am

Brad85 wrote:Mate, those are amazing!

Tom wrote:Stunning as always.

Many thanks for the thoughts and feedback.
Dave wrote:Excellent, Kirai looks especially great.

Thank you, she didn't turn out too bad in the end. It took me ages to settle on a colour scheme, so in the end I settled for the reverse of the Goryos, just to try and tie everything together.

So no figure painting done this week (sorry Tom, I'll be fielding part painted minis for our match up!) as I've been attempting to smash through some scenery ready for the next game.

I've now managed to get 3 houses completed (there is a 4th on the way, but it's still mid print). The smaller one has already made an outing fully painted, but the other two were finished this last weekend.

Houses 1.jpg

Houses 2.jpg

Houses 3.jpg

Blocking terrain is great, but I thought we could do with some severe stuff to slow people down, so what better way than with pumpkin patches. And the obligatory fences to keep people out. The patches have already seen action painted, I just needed to get around to sorting the fences out.

Pumpkin Patch.jpg

Pumpkins and Fence.jpg

I do have a terror tree that just needs a few final touches before being put in front of the camera and I've also got a couple of woods that hopefully I can finish tonight ready for tomorrow's showdown vs Lucius.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby Brad85 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:38 am

That's an insane level of productivity!!
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Previous

Return to Painting and Modelling