Jamie’s adventures in painting

Our little corner of pride

Re: Jamie’s adventures in painting

Postby ErebusMort » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:05 pm

Steaming on like a man possessed, I find myself at this stage with the foot troops and dropship….
62E0E80F-CF35-45F3-922B-4F2CF6A5F7F2.jpeg

So that’s most of the basecoats (in contrast paint) on the troops and a wash on the dropship to muddy it up a bit. I’m hoping for some time this weekend to get them closer to the finish line.

I used ttcombat spray paints and I’m afraid that I can’t really recommend them. The colours are nice, but they have covered a fair bit of the detail (faces in particular) and I don’t know if it’s the soft mantic sculpts or the sprays being thicker than I’m used to or just that I was too heavy handed whilst spraying. Contrast paints save me as I don’t think the faces would have taken a normal paint followed by a wash, so that’s handy.

I’m planning to wash everything and then some highlights to make them pop a little as I find just contrast paints aren’t quite enough for the tabletop quail it’s I’m looking for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ErebusMort
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby bennyowens » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:33 pm

Ah that's a shame. I'd assumed those sprays weren't much good as I watch a LOT of painting videos and I've literally never seen anyone use them!
bennyowens
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby ErebusMort » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:01 pm

bennyowens wrote:Ah that's a shame. I'd assumed those sprays weren't much good as I watch a LOT of painting videos and I've literally never seen anyone use them!

I think they’ll be good for scenery and they worked well on the dropship, but not something I’d rush to use for figures unfortunately.

Silver lining is that I can use them up getting scenery done and not feel guilty about it :D
ErebusMort
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:41 pm

Good progress, cohesive looking force too.

On the TT combat sprays, I've used a few and they are ok. I've only used them on terrain projects so far though. I have found that the nozzles clog far too easily so best to use an entire can in two or three sessions.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby ErebusMort » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:34 pm

And the first chunk of the box is done!
IMG_4833.jpeg

Pleased with how they’ve gone and I’ve already stuck together the last ten or a from the box and I’m hopeful that they’ll be fairly quick now I have the colour scheme down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ErebusMort
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:20 pm

Nice.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby ErebusMort » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:25 pm

As I’d promised to get the whole box done, I decided that instead of leaving the last ten figures languishing, I’d get on with it. So progress has begun…..
BFAB15E3-E5F6-444D-B09B-29C44BE87DD6.jpeg

I’m confident that they won’t take long now I have the scheme down……. But how many times have we all said that when there’s painting to be done and had it come back to bite us?
ErebusMort
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby ErebusMort » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:07 pm

And done! Managed to keep focus enough to get them done.
IMG_4882.jpeg

With these ten done, that’s the whole starter set finished. I just need to get a game arranged first to see if it’s any good!
ErebusMort
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby Tom » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:45 am

Impressive combination of focus and productivity! Even when I get a bunch done I seem to bounce from project to project.
Tom

Previous

Return to Painting and Modelling