Taking a break

General chit chat about the important things in life.

Taking a break

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Tue May 30, 2017 9:54 pm

I'm going to take a few weeks off, I'm just not enjoying club nights at the moment - nothing personal about anyone, I'm just fed up with having to leave early 4/5 weeks out of 6 and it's starting to affect my enjoyment of gaming, which hasn't been helped by the number of games being played that I have no interest in making it difficult to get regular games of anything (which is my issue - no-one should feel forced to play a game they don't want to). Even tonight, when I'm off work, just couldn't get the "get up & go" to come down, even just to say hello.

So I'll take some weeks off and hopefully recharge the gaming batteries. Unfortunately that means the Frostgrave campaign is postponed/cancelled unless someone else wants to run it (happy to leave my books at the club).

Will still stick my head in, if only to cadge a lift with Gary as necessary.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: Taking a break

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:37 pm

Sorry to hear that mate, we've all been through it I'm sure.

I usually try and rationalise my collection, get rid of half finished projects that are never going to see completion and refocus on one or two projects. Ok so it doesn't necessarily work as I still have loads of half finished projects, but not as many at least!

You have Malifaux crews so that maybe interested you at some point? How about the new Fallout? That might reignite your interest in gaming. I fully intend to finish my fallout gaming board (away at the moment so no progress for my blog type post in the other forum) as gaming on new Simon's Malifaux boards really takes the enjoyment of gaming to the next level. Mine won't be anywhere near that standard but perhaps once it is finished you and I could have a game on it.

Anyway, hope to see you around.

Cheers,
Dave
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave

Postby Ronq » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:46 am

It is tough when you don't seem to be getting a game in, I've felt the same over the past few weeks and had a discussion about it with Dave, tom and Mike and that's why we've started kingdom death, so we have something consistent.and I'll probably be giving mikes cowboy game a go and will be trying scrappers with Dave.

I've not had any consistent gaming since necromunda last year, whereas you've had the (admittedly) sporadic bloodbowl league going on and about to start frostgrave campaign that you suggested, which are the only 2 games you've wanted to play.

The only way I've gotten over the slump is to start trying and playing lots of different things, be open to anything that you have a slight interest in, from following you on kickstarter there are lots of games that you obviously like the look of, put up a list of any you want to play and I'll probably give you a game.

All I can suggest is that you try different things, and as you've probably got enough models to play most systems ;) you probably won't have much outlay to start with.

I don't mean this to sound too harsh, (and hopefully it doesn't) and I imagine the fact that you have to shoot off early doesn't help with gaming suggestions, but let me know if you want a game of anything you or I own and if I have a tiny bit of interest in yours I'll give it a go!
Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.
Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Ronq
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:11 pm

I was/am interested in KD, Dead Man's Hand, even ForumlaD, but apart from DMH they all seem to be games that will (probably) not be finished by the time I need to leave - it's one of the reasons I still haven't bothered to unpack all the Shadows of Brimstone stuff - that game takes hours to play (unless we all died in the first room, a la Quest ;) ).

Or course, all that's not helped by me not enjoying games where there's no progression (which rules out Malifaux) or is bigger than Skirmish level (so that rules out KoW, 40K). Having watched you lot play Mali I've also realised I don't like that style of games (so it rules out games like Warmachine and Guildball as well [games that have "feats and "synergy"-style rules).

Seems that, as we as a group have expanded our horizons on the gaming front, my particular choice of gaming has narrowed, both through preference and "real-life". Bit of a change from 10+ years ago when I had to fight to get others to play non-GW games. :lol:

So I guess I'm looking for regular progression, skirmish games that can be played in 2 hours or less, but I can't and don't expect anyone else to want to stick to that style.
Maybe when Dreadball 2 finally launches...
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Tom » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:05 pm

Sounds like Frostgrave or similar. What put you off that?
Tom

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:07 am

Playing the same 2-3 people week after week.
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:51 am

"Skirmish, progression, plays in 2 hours" you're describing the game we've all been looking for and spent countless hours in the car park discussing!

I think Fallout will be the game for you, you like the genre (?), the models look good and from what I've read will comply with the list above. Can't help with the "playing the same 2-3 players every week" thing, I thought for our club getting 2-3 people into a game was actually pretty good......
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave

Postby Tom » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:56 am

Can't really think of much to help there beyond moving away from the rural middle of nowhere where we reside.
Tom

Postby Ray » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:59 am

Four of us were literally about to start playing in the frostgrave campaign before you cancelled it...

I'm happy to play this style of game if someone is organising a campaign/league/whatever. I expect we will do a dreadball league again as soon as the new version ships, which was originally supposed to be next month but I would be surprised if it isn't running late.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:58 am

Stop suggesting Fallout dammit! I was trying my hardest not to look into it. ;)
Darkson (Simon)

Next

Return to Gaming