Gloomhaven

General chit chat about the important things in life.

Gloomhaven

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:35 am

I know Matt has it, and Tom's played it at least once online, but has the physical game actually been played?

Obviously this isn't a good time(!) but wondered how it played, and whether it was worth investing in the new version on KS (Frosthaven).
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: Gloomhaven

Postby Tom » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:58 am

I've played the physical version a good few times down the shop, and Dave has played a game at mine as well when one of the Friday guys came over.

It's a very good dungeon crawler. Quite technical in terms of moving parts. Not one to just pick up and play on a whim. There's a lot of both physical and mental set up time needed!

It's very campaign focused and significantly plot based. Runs on hundreds of pre-written scenarios rather then relying heavily on randomisation like WHQ. To get proper use from it you need to really be prepared to dig into a long, long term campaign of the kind we never seem to get going at Tuesday club! That said it's fairly accommodating to other players dropping in and out if you see the game as the owners personal campaign and they don't mind being filled in on plot points they have missed.

To be honest Simon, if you've never managed to get Brimstone to the table, I think it's probably not for you. I'm not really considering it just because I know I'd never have the time to dedicate to it! Already having stalled long term games of Kingdom Death, 7th Continent and Mechs vs Minions on my shelves.
Tom

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:44 pm

That sounds like what I'd picked up from reading elsewhere, but never 100% sure if what I'm reading is exactly what it meant!
And seeing as the solo option is another~$50 does seem to say that it's not a solo game basic (which was where I was looking).

Cheers Tom, can happily give it a pass.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby TheKingInYellow » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:01 pm

It's very very good.

The deck building aspect of your character is great you basically level up by adding in new and better cards.

The legacy aspects are well done as well, especially the way you unlock characters that are kept completely secret.
TheKingInYellow
Lesser Pumpkin

Return to Gaming