Campaign Day

General chit chat about the important things in life.

Campaign Day

Postby Dave » Thu May 31, 2018 6:39 pm

I know we have spoken about this in the past and nothing ever happens, or is likely to ever happen and nor do I expect it to happen, but I'm working late so....

Is there any appetite for a campaign day at the scout hut? Using an as yet to be determined game system but essentially playing a whole campaign in a day.

Depending on numbers, and completely off the top of my head/using made up maths, I reckon a fiver each should do it with any shortfall being subsidized by the club (assuming boardroom approval of course).

I appreciate that the game system chosen will likely affect your decision on whether you attend or not but is this something you could see yourself attending if it was arranged?

Cheers,
Dave
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: Campaign Day

Postby Ray » Thu May 31, 2018 8:47 pm

Yes, depending on how it is organised
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Dave » Thu May 31, 2018 9:11 pm

Cool.

What are the things that would make you unable to attend?

Are weekend days no good for you? Is the chosen game system a deal breaker? Feel free to elaborate.

Whilst I like the look of a lot of game systems out there many have never been played at the club and so would probably rule themselves out of the running I feel (don’t want to be wasting campaign day time on learning the rules!) so the reality would be a system that we are already somewhat familiar with.

Of course we could just play Twilight Imperium! ;)

Thanks for your ideas!
Dave

Postby Ray » Thu May 31, 2018 9:40 pm

I've done this at mine before with 40k.

What worked well was providing games in their entirety, where I wrote lists for both sides and sorted the table out then put people in command of parts of it for the day. This works regardless of how competitive people normally are because you are giving them a problem to solve where they can't abuse the list writing part. The down side is that people are using things they aren't familiar with so might not be entirely sure what they are doing.

What didn't work so well, and I would be less interested in, would be when everyone can show up with whatever faction/list they like and it is almost like a tournament but with odd scenarios.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Ronq » Thu May 31, 2018 9:49 pm

I’m interested!

Would an idea be picking something that already has campaign rules be wise? Something like walking dead or twilight and then maybe swap players each round?

Or a day of questing/whatever dungeon delver we fancy.

Or (for those inclined) a one shot rpg? I’d be happy to run something?

But did someone say twilight imperium?
Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.
Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Ronq
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby JAC » Thu May 31, 2018 10:50 pm

Could be interested. Any day of the week suits.

We could order take away, but a sensible finish time would be needed.

Be up for something with quick games, I quite like Ray's scripted idea, or something vaugely good versus evil culminating in a bit of a multiplayer scramble.
Wolves, what wolves...
#itsoktonotbeok #lifttheweight
JAC
Pumpkinhead

Postby Dave » Thu May 31, 2018 11:14 pm

I’ll be honest and say I wasn’t expecting such a rapid response so haven’t perhaps thought about it as much as my original post may have implied!

I think all of the above ideas are great! It sounds like there are some varied interests out there.

Dungeon crawl could work, but perhaps would limit us to only 4-5 players? Although I do like the thought of a day of old school WHQ! I wrote an “RPG lite” series of linked dungeons utilising the expanded quest rules once....

I think the same potentially applies to an RPG, having played that one Tom ran a few months back (which I really enjoyed btw) I did find once we got up to 6 playing at one time we seemed to be drowning each other out and the quest seemed to progress a bit slow (happy to bow to more learned RPGers though if that isn’t a fair comment).

I think a game that already has a campaign element to it that a creative person could write a series of linked games (so hopefully steering away from Ray’s concern about us playing an “ARBBL tournament”) sounds like what people are after?
Dave

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:07 am

I'd be interested, but ignoring system chosen, Saturdays aren't a good day for me (and Gary I'd guess) as even if it's our 1 in 6 we're both off, it would mean coming in with little or no sleep, which doesn't make for great gaming later on (though our BB results on no sleep seem to give lie to that ;) ).
Sunday's would be better, but still limited to one (or two) in six.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Tom » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:36 pm

All sounds good to me. What we do and how we do it is pretty much up to anyone who gets around to organising something in my opinion!
Tom

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:28 am

I like the idea. Something like the Mordheim one I tried to run previously? I'd be happy to work with someone to do the behind the scenes part.
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Next

Return to Gaming