Andover Underworlds Tournaments?

Places to be and tales of old

Andover Underworlds Tournaments?

Postby Brad85 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:16 pm

I think i know the answer to this already, but do we know if Test Valley will likely be holding any events? Or would ARBBL be able to hold one at the scout hut in association with TV maybe?
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Re: Andover Underworlds Tournaments?

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed May 01, 2019 6:14 pm

At present, he's got zero interest in running it again (the 3 times he has he lost money).

We could, but I think it would work out expensive to get the kit of him, without the guarantee of not losing the club money.
Might be worth maybe running a non-trophy event first, see what sort of numbers we could get locally. It's something Gary and I have discussed, but it didn't really go any further than that.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Brad85 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:12 pm

Got to be worth a shot? Did the Blood Bowl one recently have a good turn out?
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby Tom » Wed May 01, 2019 7:55 pm

It's been discussed and we've certainly got a big pile of previous organised play stuff for prizes. Plus Graham has at least one Nightvault season box of prizes we might be able to sweet talk him out of as he's not doing anything with them (unless he's quietly ebayed them).

Like most things it's just making the transition from talk to action!
Tom

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed May 01, 2019 10:13 pm

Iirc you're looking at £75+ for the hall for the day (Mark could give you a more accurate figure), so then you need to work from there (prizes etc).
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed May 01, 2019 10:19 pm

BB had 22 or 24 (not sure if the numbers on the tournament thread include the drop-outs or not), but remember that's an established event within an established tournament circuit.
I think we'd be lucky to get 10 non-club members in, given what I see posted about UW turnouts, and we might not have the pull of glass.

That's not to say we can't try, just want to put some realism in.

And selfishly, so that both Gary and I could attend we'd have to limit it to the 1-in-6 weekend we're both off. ;)
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Brad85 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:22 pm

Darkson wrote:And selfishly, so that both Gary and I could attend we'd have to limit it to the 1-in-6 weekend we're both off. ;)

Be rude not to do it on one of those days ;)

So circa £160 for the hall and the prize box (to work with higher figures)?
What if we gave a 3 month lead time to bang the drum and maybe use the unlocks like Aldershot do meaning the purchase of a prize box could be delayed to reduce risk. So a caveat can be put in and use sweet talking TV as a contingency plan?
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu May 02, 2019 1:45 am

First step is to check availability of the hall - no point in doing to much work if you've got nowhere to hold it. ;)
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Tom » Thu May 02, 2019 9:32 am

Problem is quite high competition for Underworlds events due to the active prize support GW does.

And then stores with an existing community in the larger cities we travel to tend to only get a dozen or so players, and let's be honest we're already fighting uphill for bringing in players from further afield due to being in the middle of nowhere.

We might need a gimmick? Or maybe a way to lower the deck building barrier for entry so we can at least tempt some of the TV guys back in?

But then going non-standard could put as many people off as it pulls in.
Tom

Postby Ray » Thu May 02, 2019 11:45 am

Maybe run a standard tournament to avoid putting people off with weird restrictions, but offer something different as a prize. Possibly a really nicely painted example of one of the warbands would work given the game's appeal to people outside the normal wargames community who may not be used to painting things?
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Next

Return to Tournament scene