Hello new and old

If you're new to the group, introduce yourself here and tell us what games you play and/or are interested in

Hello new and old

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:10 pm

I've just realised that we ask new members to the forum to introduce themselves, and yet we old-timers have never really introduced ourselves back, so here goes.

I'm Simon, I'm old (but not as old as Mike ;) ), and I should know better. :lol:

Started with miniatures and role-playing during college (late 80's :o ), but fell out of wargaming when I left as I didn't know anyone that played (being a village kid), other than the occasional game of 2nd edition Blood Bowl against my brother. Although I followed the magazines I only got back into playing when I met Gary (Moodygit) and Mike (BigBelcher) in the late 90's.

Started out with 40K and WFB, but it was really when they introduced me to Necromunda when it really took off for me. I still played the big games, as that was the main focus of the others, but for me the small-force games (Necromunda, Blood Bowl and later, Mordheim) were my main interest, as a) they needed less models and b) I liked the fact that your forces evolved.

Blood Bowl became my main love, I started attending tournaments in 2002, and have since played in over 50 events, including my one and only international gaming excursion to Amsterdam for the World Cup in 2007. I also refereed at a couple of the Games Workshop Blood Bowl Grand Tournaments at Warhammer World. Although it's my favourite game, I'm not that good at it. I did manage to win an event back in 2005, mainly through luck, though normally a top-half finish is a good one for me.

Never really been interested in historical gaming, though I'd not be adverse to Wild West and/or Pirate games, but things like Napolenoics, Ancients or WW1/2 aren't for me.

I no longer play big games, so I've had no interest in the resurgence of 40K within the club, nor the interest in Kings of War that is being shown, but I do play many other small games, and am happy to try others.

I also have a Kickstarter addiction, and a cupboard full of unassembled models. I hate painting as I find it frustrating (what is in my head doesn't translate to what my hands produce and that annoys me), and in an ideal world I'd have enough money to get all my models painted for me.

Play:
Blood Bowl, Mordheim, Necromunda, Dreadball, Frostgrave, Guild Ball, X-wing, WHQuest

Interested in:
Deadzone (but need to learn the rules before getting involved in a campaign - mistake last time), Open Combat, Dungeon Saga (when it arrives), Shadows of Brimstone (when I can get it assembled!)

And probably a lot more not listed!

BoardGameGeek collectios: Board Games and RPGs (probably not complete)
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Re: Hello new and old

Postby lunchmoney » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:10 am

I'm Al, I own Exilesleague.com but as there is no BB going on near me right now, so I haunt you forum and play BB with you chaps.
My game collection is quite good and my local group do get together for board/card games once a week.

During the day I do a job, which is mostly dull, so spend my time reading stuff online.

Aside from Blood Bowl, I also like classic cartoons (Wile E Coyote is my favourite character), RPG's (Cyberpunk2020, Ravenloft and Deadlands), board games (Risk [2210 and Godstorm], BSG, Settlers and stuff like that, oh and monopoly: I've somehow acquired about 14 different sets :)), movies (favourites are Back to the Future and Ghostbusters), sci-fi (Babylon 5 tops my list and gets rewatched about once every 18 months), intoxicating beverages (black russian for choice), coffee (I've normally got about 6 different varieties in the cupboard), good food (I am an ex-chef), street racing (yes, the slightly illegal kind, I drive a Jap-imported Impreza WRX STI), music (as an ex DJ my collection is very eclectic and is nearly filling a TB drive).... I'm sure there's more, but I think that gives the low down on me..... Oh and I have a very understanding girlfriend, Tempest. We met at Warhammer World on a gaming weekend. We are both geeks and proud :ugeek: :geek:

PS I also once introduced Aber Uni's RPG society to the card game Lunchmoney. We had about 20-25 people playing one game at a time. The next time I went there a lot of people forgot my name and just called me Lunchmoney, so the name stuck :lol:
lunchmoney
Lesser Pumpkin

Return to Introductions