New player looking for Warhammer or Wyrdwars

If you're new to the group, introduce yourself here and tell us what games you play and/or are interested in

New player looking for Warhammer or Wyrdwars

Postby Ladril Caledor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:42 pm

Hey everyone. My name is Dan and I grew up in Andover. I just came home after twelve years abroad and I'm looking to play some games.

I have a large Warhammer fantasy High Elves army and I'm looking to play some 8th edition. I know this might be a long shot as it looks like you guys are playing other systems but let me know if anyone has an army and is looking for a game.

I'm also looking to play some Wyrdwars, which is a mod for Mordheim. Full free rules can be found at Wyrdwars.com. Its a version of Mordheim with modified rules, with all Fantasy races available (so I can play with my High Elves, which were unfortunately never available in regular Mordheim). It's very easy to learn, balanced and fun!

Let me know if any of you guys are interested in either of these games.
Ladril Caledor
Pumpkin Pie

Re: New player looking for Warhammer or Wyrdwars

Postby Tom » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:24 pm

Hi!

Not sure if there are any active Warhammerists in the group, but we've got a lot of buzz going around on Kings of War which I know a few people put into the Kickstarter for.

And we have a Mordheim campaign underway under the standard rules, but are also getting quite into Frostgrave as a group, which I'm sure would work just fine with your elf figures as it is another fantasy warband skirmish game.
Tom
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Ladril Caledor » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:18 pm

The Mordheim campaign intrigues me, but I only have High Elf models. Would I be allowed to run a High Elf warband? They are not in the official rules but I found some unofficial rules here: http://www.killershrike.com/Mordheim/Ne ... Elves.aspx
Ladril Caledor
Pumpkin Pie

Postby Ladril Caledor » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:33 pm

Found some better looking rules for Mordheim High Elves here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/6696095/Mordh ... High-Elves

Another option would be to use Shadow Warriors, whose rules were released by Games Workshop, but I don't have the right models and the Shadow Warriors are considered a bit overpowered according to my research. I don't want a warband that's cheesy or too strong.
Ladril Caledor
Pumpkin Pie

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:32 pm

I doubt Gary (moodygit) will be able to get you into this Mordheim campaign, as it is more of a narrative one than just a bunch of fights (we've had games in a inn and on a moor so far). We do play Mordheim quite regularly though.

Not sure about getting High Elves in - there was never a balanced list made that used them as the main race of any type. Iirc the closest there was to a balanced list was for the Lustria campaign, but that wouldn't work in a normal Mordheim setting. If it's just a lack of models then that's not a problem, as there are plenty of models within the club you can borrow.

I'll second what Tom said about Frostgrave. It's another skirmish game (looking at about 15 models max) where the important model is the wizard. Best of all (for me) is that there are no racial stats, just stats based on the position of the model (Wizard, Apprentice, Thug, Archer etc) so you can use any model from your collection.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:03 pm

As stated earlier, if you are prepared to try kings of war, you have a reasonable choice of opponents for your high elves.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Ladril Caledor » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:40 pm

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I have a few interesting options.

I've looked at the latest Kings of War rules and I'm intrigued. At first glace seems like a really well designed system. I'm going to spend some time reading the rules carefully and putting a list together with my High Elf models. Think I'd like to give the game a go. When and where does your group usually meet and how do I arrange a game?

Might give Frostgrave a go as well. I checked out a few reviews and it looks like it could be a lot of fun. As the rules aren't available online, would it be possible to try the game out at your club, and is it really possible to play without studying the rules first?
Ladril Caledor
Pumpkin Pie

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:33 am

Frostgrave can be purchased as a pdf from Osprey, though you'll be welcome to read through one of the books at the club. The rules themselves are quite basic (though not simplistic), and the majority can be picked up within a game or two. As a new game, I think the most anyone has played is 3 games so it's not like you'd be coming up against loads of veteran players. ;)

If nothing else though I would suggest downloading the spell cards from the Osprey site. They're probably the most important part, and they are free to download.

I'd be happy to give you a game (I've yet to get a game in, despite owning the rulebook) but I work nights, so have to rush off 5 Tuesdays out of 7 :( , and next week is one of those Tuesdays. Perhaps someone could give you a game (maybe with reduced model count?) after their Dreadball game.
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:37 am

Ladril Caledor wrote:When and where does your group usually meet and how do I arrange a game?

When: Tuesdays, officially 7pm to 10pm, though someone is normally there from 6.30pm, and we finish when we finish.
Where: http://arbbl.webs.com/apps/location/
How do you arrange a game: On the club night threads:- viewforum.php?f=10
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Ladril Caledor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:30 am

Ok cheers guys, I posted in the Sept 8th and 15th threads to try and find an opponent for Kings of War. Hopefully I can find one.
Ladril Caledor
Pumpkin Pie

Next

Return to Introductions