Hello

If you're new to the group, introduce yourself here and tell us what games you play and/or are interested in

Hello

Postby SBlake » Thu May 20, 2021 9:56 am

Hi All,

I am fairly new to gaming, well those that do not require anything electronic. I have been following ARBBL on facebook for a while, although I have never attended a session, mostly due to lockdown and not really knowing what games I like.

I like the lore of 40k, although not the scale. Same for Age of Sigmar. Currently trying to paint some Ultra Marines.

Frostgrave and Stargrave look more up my street scale wise, as well as Rangers of Shadow Deep.

Malifaux sounds interesting.

I have also come across Signum Games. Legends of Signum looks interesting.

Hopefully, Covid allowing, I may be able to attend soon.

Nice to meet you all.

Steve.
SBlake
Unripe Pumpkin

Re: Hello

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu May 20, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi Steve,

Big fan of Frostgrave, as I prefer skirmish games to big battles, and looking forward to Stargrave in the future.
Enjoy Rangers too.

If you like the GW lore, but not the big battles, check Kill Team for 40k and Warcry for AoS, both are skirmish level sort of based off the bigger games, and both have been played at the club.
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Ray » Thu May 20, 2021 1:54 pm

Hey, always great to have new people.

Don't feel you have to aim big with 40k. A bunch of us have played games at 500 points and it works fine, and anything over 1000 is probably going to take too long for an evening anyway unless both players are extremely familiar with the rules.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Brad85 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:14 pm

Hi Steve.

Welcome to the club. Like Ray said 40k doesn't need you to aim big now. You can get away with just 20 odd models for some of the factions. Or there's Kill Team / Necromunda if you want to stay smaller.

Tom and I are playing Malifaux this Tuesday if you want to spectate, I think that keeps us within the current numbers policy.
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby SBlake » Fri May 21, 2021 7:27 pm

Thanks for the messages.

I like the look of Kill Team and Necromunda, also War Cry. My main issue with 40K is the number of miniatures required. Not that I would not get there eventually. It's just that life gets in the way of building and learning to paint lol.

I have had a look at Malufaux today, it looks interesting, although a little confusing. I would love to spectate but unfortunately, I am predisposed this Tuesday. :(

How do you even go about selecting a crew, soooo many options. I like the look of English Ivan, mainly for the miniatures themselves as I don't understand the mechanics yet. I have ordered the core book to start.

Already have the Frostgrave 2nd edition book, waiting for Stargrave and Rangers of Shadow Deep to be delivered.

I haven't jumped fully into 40k yet, I just bought the recruit edition box. I do like the Necrons though.

Anyway, I hope I can get to a meet soon.

Have fun on Tuesday.
SBlake
Unripe Pumpkin

Postby Tom » Fri May 21, 2021 8:05 pm

Sounds like you’re very much on the same page as us all games-wise.

Malifaux is a fairly heavy game but I love it. All the rules and model cards are free in the app which is nice for browsing. Picking a Master can be tough as there are so many, but the website and the app should give you a fair idea of their play styles. Then expanding is easy as everything is quite heavily keyword based these days.

We’re hoping to get a Frostgrave campaign going when/if the covid restrictions ease so that could be good to join.

And we’re well into Necromunda. Played loads of that since the new edition came out.
Tom
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Ray » Sat May 22, 2021 10:07 am

If you wanted to play a small 40k game at some point to see how the necrons play I have some somewhere you can borrow for the game to bulk out your army
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby SBlake » Mon May 24, 2021 10:24 am

Ray wrote:If you wanted to play a small 40k game at some point to see how the necrons play I have some somewhere you can borrow for the game to bulk out your army

Thanks, that would be great, I think I would like to watch a couple of battles first, to get a feel for the game.

Hopefully I can get to a meet soon.
SBlake
Unripe Pumpkin

Return to Introductions