Saying hello

If you're new to the group, introduce yourself here and tell us what games you play and/or are interested in

Saying hello

Postby bennyowens » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:54 pm

Hi there,

I came along on Tuesday for my first session, had a fun few games of Warhammer Quest and Dominion. Thanks to everyone for being welcoming, sorry for immediately forgetting your names!

Until recently I've mostly been a board gamer (Castles of Burgundy, Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, Splendor would be among my favourites), but I've started to get back into miniature gaming with a game called Dracula's America, and then during lockdown I decided to buy and paint some Tyranids for Kill Team...which quickly spiralled into building a full army.

I haven't played 40k since 3rd edition so I'm a little rusty. Back then I also played WH Fantasy as well as dabbling in Gorkamorka and Blood Bowl. I'd like to find a couple of skirmish games that I can get some miniatures for and get into playing, (once I've defiled them with my poor painting skills!) so I'm open to suggestions.

Hopefully see you all across a table soon!

Ben
bennyowens
Lesser Pumpkin

Re: Saying hello

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:52 pm

Hi Ben, nice to briefly meet you (your dice rolls mean you should fit right in!).

Can highly recommend Frostgrave as a fantasy skirmish game - it's mini-agnostic and you only need about 10 models (iirc 13 is the biggest it can get).
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:00 pm

Glad you could make it down, hopefully we’ll see more of you in the future.

Skirmish game wise there are loads (and that’s part of my problem!). Most of us play Necromunda and Frostgrave so those two will net you the most variety of opponents. A few of us are just getting into Burrows and Badgers and even fewer of us play Malifaux (my personal favourite).

Others I’ve heard are good but not played:
This is Not a Test
Elder Scrolls (I have the rules for this and it seems pretty decent).
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave

Postby Tom » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:28 pm

Looking forward to seeing you again. As you can see, games tend to get sorted in the Gaming>Club Night bit of the forum so please do join in there when you can come back and we can make sure we have a game for you.
Tom

Postby bennyowens » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:17 pm

Darkson wrote:Hi Ben, nice to briefly meet you (your dice rolls mean you should fit right in!).

Can highly recommend Frostgrave as a fantasy skirmish game - it's mini-agnostic and you only need about 10 models (iirc 13 is the biggest it can get).

Hey if you need someone who can roll a 1 every time except when its needed I'm your man!

Dave wrote:Glad you could make it down, hopefully we’ll see more of you in the future.

Skirmish game wise there are loads (and that’s part of my problem!). Most of us play Necromunda and Frostgrave so those two will net you the most variety of opponents. A few of us are just getting into Burrows and Badgers and even fewer of us play Malifaux (my personal favourite).

Others I’ve heard are good but not played:
This is Not a Test
Elder Scrolls (I have the rules for this and it seems pretty decent).

Thanks, I'd been toying with Necromunda, will have to look into that and Frostgrave

Tom wrote:Looking forward to seeing you again. As you can see, games tend to get sorted in the Gaming>Club Night bit of the forum so please do join in there when you can come back and we can make sure we have a game for you.

Will do! Is it ok to come along even if I'm not playing (happy to still pay obviously) so I can get a sense of what some of the games are like?
bennyowens
Lesser Pumpkin

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:51 pm

Will do! Is it ok to come along even if I'm not playing (happy to still pay obviously) so I can get a sense of what some of the games are like?

Absolutely, though you only pay if you play.
If nothing else it gives you the chance to look at some games you might not have seen and/or might be interested in, and there's always a chance a game finishes early so something else gets started (especially board and card games).
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)

Postby Ray » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:34 pm

Hi Ben. DIdn't get a chance to really say much more than a quick hi on tuesday but I'm sure we will chat properly at some point.

With skirmish games, at least for the ones with campaign systems, I would recommend waiting until we figure out what we are going to play next then jump on that. As a club we tend to have a campaign running for some skirmish game or other for a period of time before moving onto the next one, and obviously one of the most important things when picking a game to buy into is that you will actually get to play it. Having said that, Necromunda looks like a pretty safe bet. The club is only just starting up again properly following lockdown, buy no doubt someone will get a campaign of something going again soon.
Ray
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Brad85 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:12 am

Dave put a handy Necromunda reference/core rules doc together a little while ago. I'll ping you it over so you can have a look at that without the initial investment. We all have enough models to give you an intro game of it too, plus Dave's awesome terrain.
Brad85
Greater Pumpkinhead

Postby Dave » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:39 am

Dracula’s America looks like quite a fun game, I’d be happy to give it a go.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave

Return to Introductions