Greetings

If you're new to the group, introduce yourself here and tell us what games you play and/or are interested in

Greetings

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Firstly thank you to all those at ARBBL last week for a very warm welcome and chat.

I'm Simon, I've lived in Andover for 4 years but only recently have being able to be around during the week, which means I can now bet back into my gaming.

Like several others, I started gaming and miniatures at school, although I did it with WFB 2nd Ed - I'm that old. During this time, and partially due to the monster that is GW being the most available retailer, I pretty much played only GW stuff; Rogue Trader through to V3, Bloodbowl V2, SpaceHulk, Man O'War...

Over the last 18 years or so, I've dipped in and out of gaming until around 2009 when the Mid Somerset Gang got me back in love with it. At the time I was still playing 40K, but they managed to ween me off that quite quickly. It wasn't actually too difficult as I'd grown rather tried of playing an unsupported faction (ie something that wasn't Space Marines) in a game mechanism where the latest Codex (Flavoured Space Marines) encouraged rolling bucketloads of dice to trump any tactical thought. (I'm now in the process of preparing myself to sell over 3000 points of well painted Sisters of Battle :( )

What I did get into instead was Malifaux. Although I haven't played since versions 1 and 1.5 (I have V2, just need to get my head around the changes), it hopefully won't take too long to dust off my Ressurectionists and get going again. It also opened my eyes to smaller skirmish style games where tactical acumen and forethought is rewarded; which means I'm pretty much buggered. However, I really enjoy the style and different mechanics. In Malifaux's case, Steampunk, cards and the ability to cheat - what's not like about that!

I also enjoy the painting and scenery building side of the hobby, although rarely happy with my work. That said, I generally won't field anything that isn't painted (I've had to flex this recently with board games :o ).

So what do I play at present? My main regular pick up is X-Wing (always on hand should anyone want a game). Malifaux will require a little bit of work. I've just traded all of my Man O'War for everything currently launched for The Walking Dead All Out War and am looking to get into that. Puppet Wars Unstitched (Malifaux spin-off board game-ish)

I've also recently been looking at Bushido - The Game and seriously considering giving it a go.

I look forward to seeing you all at Club Nights.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Re: Greetings

Postby MoodyGit (Gary) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:47 am

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Small games of x-wing I can accommodate.
'Jenkins, chap with wings there...five rounds rapid.' - The Brigadier.
MoodyGit (Gary)
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:23 pm

Welcome.

Sounds like you won't have any problems getting games. Several x-wing, Malifaux and walking dead players at the club, also Ollie plays Bushido I think.

Cheers,
Dave
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Postby Darkson (Simon) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Dave wrote:also Ollie plays Bushido I think.

If he can ever make it back down the club. :(

Not a lot of games on there that I play or am interested in, but if you ever want to get back into Blood Bowl I'd be happy to help you go through the rules (a LOT has changed since 2nd edition).
I've got some basic X-Wing stuff, but gary (Moodygit) keeps putting me off by rolling to well whenever I play him (after his youngest had done the same).
Send help - buried under my lead mountain!
Darkson (Simon)
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Return to Introductions