Postby Mike » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:22 pm

Flag Tag in the Gaslands.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Re: ONLINE Tuesday 5th Jan 2021

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:02 pm

Another crazy game.

I let Simon do the write up on this.

There is a wanted poster for my blue buggy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Lord of Pumpkin Spam

Postby DaVinci's Cat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:22 pm

The objective was simple for this one, pick up the enemies’ flag three times whilst preventing them from doing the same. The objective may have been simple enough, just a shame neither of us had the ability or skill to really achieve it.

We probably should have had an inkling of how things were going to turn out when before we even deployed; Mike was found to be using an illegal team! :o After some hasty rehashing of his squad and a drinks top up for me, we were set to deploy. Nothing unusual here, I failed to gain pole position despite rolling a 5 (another sign of things to come…) and with that we threw our vehicles down and placed our flags in probably the most ridiculous positions possible. Reminder for next time – scenery placement! Mike took a couple of buggies and a couple of motorbikes with sidecars (masquerading as ’32 Ford Coupes) and the infamous improvised sludge thrower-napalm combination which is so damn good all sponsored by Miyazaki whilst I turned up with a couple of Rusty’s Bootlegger sponsored buggies and a truck with 125mm Cannon, a ram and an unlimited supply of Molotovs thanks to the Peach Moonshine in the trailer.

The first few gear phases consisted of Mike slip-sliding around with his buggies attempting to get showing off tokens and not making much progress towards my flag whilst closing in on my buggies with his bikes for the first bit of carnage. I on the other hand was enjoying getting to grips with the fact that my team were unable to use straight templates due to the fact they were considerably over the legal drink drive limit. Weary of the range of his sludge-throwers, with a bit of careful drink driving, I managed to get a shot in first. A side mounted flame-thrower should make relatively short work of a 4 Hull Motorbike, I just needed an average roll of 4+ to hit, what could go wrong? Whilst I don’t have a picture of my dice roll for this, it was pretty similar to the one pictured that was my truck firing it’s 125mm at one of his buggies.

20210105_210802.jpg

Mike did then point out, our luck would flip later on but then proceeded to wipe out my 1st Buggy heading for the flag. Not an ideal turn from my perspective, but pretty good for Mike. He also managed to avoid any damaged when one of his bikes wiped out and ploughed into the other one.

Fortunately on the other side of the board, my warning shot and the threat of being rammed and molotov’d scattered his buggies. Mike then clearly demonstrated his driving prowess with his trick driving skills by 1) colliding with the scenery (reducing hull points to 1 and then putting himself in a position to be molotov’d to a flaming wreck!)

20210105_213330.jpg

and 2) failing to take a gentle turn without driving off of the table. Nice!

20210105_222046.jpg

His trick driving didn’t stop there either. His remaining buggy managed to find the most circuitous route to my flag (presumably whilst trying to avoid my truck) but wiped out on the way allowing me just enough time to round the stack and fire off a 125mm round (picture 3 above). No dumb-ass rolling this time – scratch 1 buggy. In the meantime, I’d managed to flame his last remaining bike and avoid the subsequent wreck.
Not really anything to shout about as being on only 1 hull myself, I’d have wrecked myself when picking up the flag.

So overall, either some fairly shoddy driving or some rather brutal carnage. How you are meant to pick up 3 flags will remain a mystery at the moment, but I’m sure we’ll figure it out. Playing with more than 2 would probably help as it would give multiple targets to go for along with maybe some different load-outs for the vehicles.

That said, another amusing game with a few interesting take-aways:

Improvised Sludge Throwers with Napalm (or similar) are really cheap and very, very effective. No need to pay the premium for a turreted weapon when you have these bad-boys.

Probably didn’t need to put and huge cannon, a ram and molotovs all on the same vehicle – especially one that isn’t that fast and can’t drive straight.

Driving without the use of straights is hard work – not because you’re all over the place but you just lack distance, even in sixth gear. It felt like I was driving Miss Daisy, except in a very inebriated state.

Having a trailer and the War-Rig special rules is quite interesting, especially as you don’t suffer the movement displacement when you slide (saved my bacon!). Unfortunately I never got the chance to try out the pile-driver ‘skill’ but will maybe tweak the team for a future run out.

Next up will be a return to the Death Race, 50 Cans with no restrictions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaVinci's Cat
Pumpkinhead

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:05 pm

Just a quick post to say I am reading these so keep them coming!

Cheers.
The Guard dies but it does not surrender
Dave
Archduke Pumpkin of ARBBL

Return to Club Night